Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth Signal Problems

I seem to be having some problems with the Bluetooth signal in my home. I think because myself and Mrs BBM moved the PC into the spare bedroom, that could be the reason why our Bluetooth stereo is not picking up the signal? Or it could be the waves from the microwave oven or other reasons. we haven't reset the Bluetooth yet, and are planning to do this this weekend. any ideas, please?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I seem to be having some problems with the Bluetooth signal in my home. I think because myself and Mrs BBM moved the PC into the spare bedroom, that could be the reason why our Bluetooth stereo is not picking up the signal? Or it could be the waves from the microwave oven or other reasons. we haven't reset the Bluetooth yet, and are planning to do this this weekend. any ideas, please?
    I think the problem is likely to be with Bluetooth itself
    To quote someone I met at a computer music conference
    "Bluetooth is a total pile of sh*te, it's a miracle it ever works in the first place because there are fundamental errors in the stack"
    Now I only have a vague idea of what the "stack" is BUT I do know that if I want to use bluetooth to do anything it means endless faffing about and iffy connectivity.
    Resetting it might work as might buying a £1.00 dongle and plugging that in.

Comment

I assume that it was working for the proposed purpose before you moved the PC. What problems have arisen? Devices not being detected, or pairing problems - i.e. unable to pair, or unable to unpair a previously paired device for example?

If distances between devices are too great then Bluetooth won't work, and if there are more devices around, then it's possible that another active device will make the PC appear (or not!) invisible on the system. It is also possible that while the distances may be seemingly small enough, that walls and other barriers can make connections hard to achieve.

Comment

Range is important, Bbm. The transmitter and the receiver have to be close, something that wearing BT headphones and walking around your dwelling doing tasks quickly teaches you. The new location of your PC is the issue.
        Otoh, your BT receiver can pair with another source, such as a smart phone or tablet which can be closer.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Otoh, your BT receiver can pair with another source, such as a smart phone or tablet which can be closer.
          Sometimes one device has to be forcibly unpaired before it can be used with another source, or before the source can connect to another device. I have this problem sometimes with wireless mice or keyboards. Another source may also have to be disabled (switched/powered off) to make sure the correct pairing happens.

Also, not all Bluetooth devices and sources work the same. My phones will connect to the phone system in my car, but sending audio does not work in my car. Possibly newer cars have systems which will do both, phones (dialling etc.) and audio e.g. playing mp3 or other forms of music tracks. Not sure if video is possible - probably not - not enough bandwidth.
          Last edited by Dave2002; 21-08-16, 09:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Sometimes one device has to be forcibly unpaired before it can be used with another source, or before the source can connect to another device.
            I've been to gigs where the whole audience has had to go outside while bluetooth pairings are established.

Comment

MrsBBM and I are going to put the PC back in the lounge today. The only trouble is when I am working on my music and I want to use the playback on my music software programme, poor MrsBBM!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

MrsBBM and I are going to put the PC back in the lounge today. The only trouble is when I am working on my music and I want to use the playback on my music software programme, poor MrsBBM!
                Headphones?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

We still don't know what Bluetooth device(s) you are trying to connect. PC one end - other end?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    We still don't know what Bluetooth device(s) you are trying to connect. PC one end - other end?
                    Apologies. I was trying to connect from our PC to the stereo, which is Bluetooth, as well.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Do you have another BT device to pair with the Stereo, such as a smartphone? If so, and if you can access your music from the phone, then you can leave the PC in the second bedroom, listen to music, and maintain domestic harmony

Comment

bbm

I suppose to some extent things depend on what kit you already have. If you have a router based Wi-Fi network (either wired or wireless) there are other ways of getting the music to the stereo - though your stereo may only work with Bluetooth. I'm currently looking at Chromecast. I have a gen 1 device, and I noticed that there is now a Chromecast Audio device, which is fairly cheap and might be of some use, and something like that could save having to move the PC yet again.

Comment

:l
                          Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I've been to gigs where the whole audience has had to go outside while bluetooth pairings are established.

Comment

Hi folks. Apologies for not coming back but sorted the problem out. Just need switch switch the PC of and stereo for 10 seconds at the mains and Bob's your uncle, sorted!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Hi folks. Apologies for not coming back but sorted the problem out. Just need switch switch the PC of and stereo for 10 seconds at the mains and Bob's your uncle, sorted!
                              Bluetooth pairing can be vey annoying

Comment

Working...
                              X