Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLAC On a Mac

I know this has been discussed here, but I seem to need a refresher.
    As I have stated before I don't have many non i tunes downloads but I do have a small file of HD Tracks High res downloads and recently downloaded a High rez recording (Vanska/Minnesota Sibelius 3/6/7)from Presto Classical
    I had both Decibel and XLR on MacBook, programs designed to change FLAC to Mac Compatible formats, and used them both to play these files. I recently 'upgraded' my OS to El Capitan and was able to use both programs when I first purchased the Presto Classical files, but today I am getting messages that both xLR and Decibel are "apps by unrecognized developers" and therefore unusable.
    So who can tell me what is the currently preferred program to use? I am particularly peeved about the Decibel situation as I had purchased a 'lifetime' subscription which suddenly seems voided. And does anyone know whether a program that is 'prefered' today will be good in the far off digital future, such as October 2016

richard

Can't you overridde the warnings by going to System Preferences, then select Security and Privacy, then select Anywhere, and then install and run the apps you want?
    This should enable you to run the apps you have, or updated versions of them.

Once you've done this you can reset the Security and Privacy settings, and the applications should still run. You may need to do this twice - once for an installer package, and once for the application itself, but this is the kind of process I do rather frequently, and it does usually overcome the kind of issue you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      richard

Can't you overridde the warnings by going to System Preferences, then select Security and Privacy, then select Anywhere, and then install and run the apps you want?
      This should enable you to run the apps you have, or updated versions of them.

Once you've done this you can reset the Security and Privacy settings, and the applications should still run. You may need to do this twice - once for an installer package, and once for the application itself, but this is the kind of process I do rather frequently, and it does usually overcome the kind of issue you mentioned.
      This didn't work with either program, but fwiw, someone else on a Computer Audio Forum suggested the exact same fix.
      Do you play downloads on a MAc, or PC? This other person suggested that I should have bought the download in an Apple Compatible Version, such as AIFF or ALAC. I am looking into upgrading one my AVRs to something that will play every format and do Air Play and BT. There are some major markdowns on AVRs now because they are rolling out the 4 K versions, which I don't need or want, so so I've seen some players going at 60% off

Comment

The only piece of software I've ever purchased is this: http://www.bigasoft.com/flac-converter-mac.html

I've resigned myself to having to convert FLAC downloads to AIFF, and using that program is very quick and simple.

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

It's been a while since I did this - though I know it was possible.

This page seems to indicate possibilities - https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19873/max including Max, XLD, xACT and Fluke.

I think Max and XLD were the ones I had working before. As I recall with some of the converters the process was rather slow, so if ALAC is the preferred format it may be best to select downloads in that format, and if ever FLAC is required use a tool (perhaps one of these) to do the conversion the other way.

Fluke is supposed to work with iTunes, so that it just plays FLAC - but I never tried it/got it working. If you're still using iTunes, then that might be something to check out. That would apparently do on the fly conversion/playback of FLAC files directly.

Comment

It's been a while since I did this - though I know it was possible.

Fluke is supposed to work with iTunes, so that it just plays FLAC - but I never tried it/got it working. If you're still using iTunes, then that might be something to check out. That would apparently do on the fly conversion/playback of FLAC files directly.
            http://swinsian.com/ is very good. I've just tested it on a 24bit flac file. It's similar to foobar2000 in many respects in look and feel.

Licensed version is only 20 quid.

Comment

This is not a fix, it's a workaround. The developers of the software should be chastised for sloppiness by releasing software that is incorrectly signed.

BTW you go to 'Applications and Security' after getting the '"apps by unrecognized developers" message, and there's an 'install anyway' button to click.

Comment

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
                http://swinsian.com/ is very good. I've just tested it on a 24bit flac file. It's similar to foobar2000 in many respects in look and feel.

Licensed version is only 20 quid.
                I don't know that one. Does it do so-called HD tracks?

Audirvana has been recommended by others - but it costs more - https://audirvana.com/

Comment

I will return to the Presto website and see if they will allow me to download it directly into a Mac format....

Comment

I don't know that one. Does it do so-called HD tracks?

Audirvana has been recommended by others - but it costs more - https://audirvana.com/
                    Yes. I tested with 96/24bit.

It looks like a very good piece of software based on my initial testing.

Comment

Why don't you ask them to burn the tracks onto a CD and post it to you? It might be easier for you.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        I will return to the Presto website and see if they will allow me to download it directly into a Mac format....
                        Do tell us if so! Presto is my emporium of choice (unless Chandos/Classical Shop have the necessary - as they do have direct Mac-compatible formats, but their range is more limited) - I've always proceeded with Presto as above, buying lossless downloads and converting them to Mac formats here.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Do tell us if so! Presto is my emporium of choice (unless Chandos/Classical Shop have the necessary - as they do have direct Mac-compatible formats, but their range is more limited) - I've always proceeded with Presto as above, buying lossless downloads and converting them to Mac formats here.

Presto is my second choice, Qobuz is first, Europhile that I am. But it’s inconvenient having to convert the files from FLAC to ALAC (although I do have a free application that works well).

Comment

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
                            Yes. I tested with 96/24bit.

It looks like a very good piece of software based on my initial testing.
                            I feel sure that Jayne or Highland Dougie will tell you that it can do up to 192+ if we encourage them.

Are you new to Audirvana? Since I haven't heard of the one you mentioned, I'm just wondering how it compares. If Audirvana is better then the extra cost is not so great, and could be worthwhile. I have a vague suspicion there are other players, but maybe not many do so well as Audirvana.

Comment

Presto isn't recognizing my e mail sign in, even though I haven't changed it since ordering the download , so I can't check to see if I can redo load this in a Mac format. I have emailed their customer support

Comment

Working...
                              X