Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Source Mode" v. "WYSIWYG Mode"

Is there any way I can make "Source Mode" the default option when replying to posts? I find the WYSIWYG default a real pain. I keep finding my typing thrown back to the first empty line. Also, with the WYSIWYG Mode default, any insertion of a link means that anything typed after the link is also treated as part of that link. I try to remember to switch the WYSIWYG Mode off before I start a reply, but it would be so much simpler of "Source Mode" was the default.

Mmmm, not sure I understand the question or the problem. Isn't this what you choose under Miscellaneous Options? I can see in the Control Panel that I have a different Message Editor Interface from you (you have Show Enhanced WYSIWYG) - no idea what difference it makes.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Mmmm, not sure I understand the question or the problem. Isn't this what you choose under Miscellaneous Options? I can see in the Control Panel that I have a different Message Editor Interface from you (you have Show Enhanced WYSIWYG) - no idea what difference it makes.
      Me neither. I checked and see I am using Full WYSIWYG. It works perfectly for me and so maybe user error

Neither do I have this mysterious 'Source Mode' option.

If I enter a link like here https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPad-Senior...e+to+computing then I can carry on typing perfectly normally.
      Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

When replying to a post, the box to the top right of the Quick Reply window shows an upper case italic "A" in blue, with a smaller black upper case "A" to its right. This button toggles between "Switch Editor to Source Mode" and "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Role". The default is WYSIWYG Mode. I simply wish the default to be Source Mode. My browser of choice is Firefox. I get the same result on 4 different laptops.

Comment

I don't see that at all. Must be a Bill Gates special then as both FF and I are on Macs.
          Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

What I described is common to Firefox, Chrome and Opera browsers. What buttons do you see above the typing window of "Quick Reply".

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              When replying to a post, the box to the top right of the Quick Reply window shows an upper case italic "A" in blue, with a smaller black upper case "A" to its right. This button toggles between "Switch Editor to Source Mode" and "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Role". The default is WYSIWYG Mode. I simply wish the default to be Source Mode. My browser of choice is Firefox. I get the same result on 4 different laptops.
              I see what you're talking about now - though the button you describe is top left, not top right. I've never investigated it (yes it defaults to the WYSIWYG), but neither have I come across a problem such as you describe.

This seems to be what you're asking about, and the answer seems to be what I suggested. If I change the default, I have to change it for everyone, which may not suit …
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I see what you're talking about now - though the button you describe is top left, not top right.…
                Oops! Yes, left not right.

O.k., I will just have to remember to switch to "Source Mode" every time I type.

Comment

Oops! Yes, left not right.

O.k., I will just have to remember to switch to "Source Mode" every time I type.
                  Well, it did say on that forum that a user could change it for themselves under General Settings, if you have a problem.

Comment

Well, it did say on that forum that a user could change it for themselves under General Settings, if you have a problem.
                    I have just had a go at changing to the Standard Mode. That has indeed set the button concerned to Source Mode as the default. Thanks. Now to see if it also resolves the strange random phenomenon of text entry suddenly switching to the top available space in the middle of a word. So far, so good.

Comment

I have that particular box on the extreme left of the Quick Reply section but have the upper case italic 'A' in blue on the right of the little box and the smaller upper case A on the left which seems to be the reverse of yours? Next to it is another AA box with a red X through it which says 'remove format'. Hovering my mouse over the first box says 'switch editor to WYSIWIG'. Is that also the reverse of yours? What happens when you click it?

I'm not clicking on anything in case I jigger it up.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I have that particular box on the extreme left of the Quick Reply section but have the upper case italic 'A' in blue on the right of the little box and the smaller upper case A on the left which seems to be the reverse of yours? Next to it is another AA box with a red X through it which says 'remove format'. Hovering my mouse over the first box says 'switch editor to WYSIWIG'. Is that also the reverse of yours? What happens when you click it?

I'm not clicking on anything in case I jigger it up.
                        I guess you have your editing option set to Basic or Standard. Now that I have set mine to Standard, things seem to be working fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X