Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using for3 on a mobile tablet

I usually use a desktop or laptop machine with a browser such as Safari, Firefox, Chrome to view for3. Occasionally I see it on Android phones, where it doesn't seem so easy to use. The recent purchase of an
    Amazon Fire HD has shown this up again. What do others use, or recommend for sites like this one, for Android or Amazon tablets?

One site I use sometimes seems to recommend an app called Tapatalk, but I've not bothered to try it mysellf.

I've tried once or twice to look at this site on my (Android) phone. It isn't very easy to get around, and my conclusion was that I don't actually need constant access to it - if something seems to be worth saying it can usually wait until I'm sitting behind a computer!

Comment

The website itself has been, er, reversioned with sort of squashable software (I've forgotten what it's called). Software is available for the forum (which has its own software) but I think we stopped upgrading except for security patches. I think that's the answer but best to ask Andrew
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Some sites seem to work with the 'normal' interface, though with very small screens - such as some mobile phones - that's really not good. Other sites assume that with small devices that a squashed interface is needed/required by the user. Trouble with that is that some tablets are actually big enough, with good enough screen resolution, to work acceptably well with the standard interface. I think my Fire HD 8 is in that category.

Comment

The biggest problem with for3 seems to be lack of easy access to New posts, which slows things down a lot. Some sites do manage this, but then use so much screen space that they too are then useless!

Comment

The site works perfectly on an iPad 4, exactly the same as on a PC, but I suppose you know that.
            Last edited by johnb; 08-11-16, 11:13. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              The site works perfectly on an iPad 4, exactly the same as on a PC, but I suppose out know that.
              And on my ipad 2, and my Samsung Galaxy 5. No complaints whatsoever.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

... and on my retro iPhone 5

Comment

Agree it works on iPads. Apparently the Fire does not (may not) use AJAX techniques which may be part of the problem.

Comment

Sorry for being so tardy!

There is a mode for mobiles, but don't know what it will look like on a tablet. It's a bit clunky.

Go to Forum Actions, General Settings and then look for 'Forum Skin' towards the bottom of the page. Choose 'Default Mobile Style' and then save changes.

To go back to the normal version, select 'Full Site' at the bottom of the page. (Then go back ans set the Forum Skin to 'Use Forum Default'.

Good luck if you try!

Comment

All works perfectly on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

To go back to the normal version, select 'Full Site' at the bottom of the page. (Then go back and set the Forum Skin to 'Use Forum Default'.

Good luck if you try!
                        I missed this earlier - and I have been away. I discovered (quite by chance) while on my trips that on the Amazon Fire HD 8 there is a Full Site option at the bottom of the page - something one could easily overlook - and after that has been selected once, the for3 site opens up pretty much as normal from then on. This pretty much confirms what you wrote earlier, though I've only just noticed your helpful hint.

Comment

Working...
                        X