Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Profile biographies and interests

Is there a way to see if members have any entry in their Biography and Interest sections on their profiles without clicking and (almost invariably) finding none?

Having come clean about taking my Music A-level in 1968, I decided to put some information in these sections, but how will anyone know it's there?

Is it such a difficult matter, Pulcie? Forumistas can easily find biographical details on others' profile pages if those others want to see them.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh, you mean the Dark Forum ?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Oh, you mean the Dark Forum ?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Is it such a difficult matter, Pulcie? Forumistas can easily find biographical details on others' profile pages if those others want to see them.
          Not really, but I had to click on you, ts, and Bryn to see that only one of you had anything to say (and you now all know that I looked!).

Comment

Now that you've drawn attention to your bio, Pulcinella, I know that I couldn't possibly compete even if I am probably half your age.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Now that you've drawn attention to your bio, Pulcinella, I know that I couldn't possibly compete even if I am probably half your age.
              It's not a competition, Joseph.
              I'll never play the guitar!

A few members have asked about my background, so I thought I would give some!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Not really, but I had to click on you, ts, and Bryn to see that only one of you had anything to say (and you now all know that I looked!).
                Given that some people write 1,000-word essays and others write nothing, it's hard to see how the system could provide much that's near instantly visible (like the info in the top right of your posts - you can replace your location with something else you desperately want to tell people).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Given that some people write 1,000-word essays and others write nothing, it's hard to see how the system could provide much that's near instantly visible (like the info in the top right of your posts - you can replace your location with something else you desperately want to tell people).
                  Oh dear; now I'm beginning to think I'm a sad and desperate old person trumpeting my CV.
                  A few forumistas have asked about my background (and seemed a little surprised that I had no more musical 'qualification' than an A-Level exam pass in 1968) so I thought it worth putting something in my biography section.
                  Sorry if it looked like I'm blowing my own (non-orchestral) trumpet; that was not the message I was trying to get across.

PS: Biography deleted: interests kept.
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 09-05-19, 13:50. Reason: PS added.

Comment

A few forumistas have asked about my background and seemed a little surprised that I had no more musical 'qualification' than an A-Level exam pass.
                    ... some of us don't even have an O-level in music

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... some of us don't even have an O-level in music

Now I feel even more like I've been bragging.
                      Perhaps the hosts should delete this whole thread.
                      Apologies for any entirely unintended arrogance on my part.

:evensadderface:

Comment

... o Pulcie - cheer up! I was delighted to hear of your distinguished career, and am sad you felt obliged to omit it. If I had my life over again I wd have wanted to be a research chemist...

Last edited by vinteuil; 09-05-19, 15:31.

Comment

Some forums, also powered by vBulletin, have the option to include a "Signature" within the user's profile. This "signature" then appears at the bottom of every post the user makes. It is often not used as a signature per se but to contain interests, etc that are relevant to the forum.

If the option was enabled for this forum it could be used as desired.

(I'm not necessarily advocating this - just giving it as an available option.)

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                            Some forums, also powered by vBulletin, have the option to include a "Signature" within the user's profile. This "signature" then appears at the bottom of every post the user makes. It is often not used as a signature per se but to contain interests, etc that are relevant to the forum.
                            If the option was enabled for this forum it could be used as desired.
                            (I'm not necessarily advocating this - just giving it as an available option.)
                            This option is enabled, johnb - hence "Numquam Satis" at the foot of my posts and Cali's Shakespeare quotation etc etc.

Putting a CV there, so that it could be seen every time a Forumista makes a Post might seem a little ... "persistent"?
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

PS: Biography deleted: interests kept.
                              Oh I'm sad I missed it...

I put a summary on mine some time ago - you've prompted me to update it, ta
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X