Would it be possible to have more PMs saved?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be possible to have more PMs saved?

I suspect that the limit of 200 PMs saved in this forum can be modified with the flick of a number.
    I wonder - now that the forum has been running for quite a while - and also memory should be getting cheaper, if it would be possible - or even desirable - to raise the limit to (say) 400.

If there were a way of archiving all the PMs and then inputting them back into some sort of viewing tool I wouldn't be making this suggestion.
    Indeed, it ought to be possible to make such a tool, given the various export formats, but I've just never got round to making one, and such tools as I do use are not ideal.

... why?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... why?

Yes who really needs 200+?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I suspect that the limit of 200 PMs saved in this forum can be modified with the flick of a number.
        It can indeed, but I don't think the forum is intended to be used as a sort of personal storage volume. You can download and save PMs, and file them in whatever order you want to. I think 200 is quite generous given that most PMs won't be worth saving anyway; and will never be looked at 2 years later.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

If you receive email notifications of PMs then the message is included there too. Keep the email/ file it away - easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
            If you receive email notifications of PMs then the message is included there too. Keep the email/ file it away - easy.
            That's certainly what I do.
            But haven't we had this discussion (about saving messages) before, quite recently?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              It can indeed, but I don't think the forum is intended to be used as a sort of personal storage volume. You can download and save PMs, and file them in whatever order you want to. I think 200 is quite generous given that most PMs won't be worth saving anyway; and will never be looked at 2 years later.
              The issue there is the format in which they are downloaded.

OK - so nobody else seems to be interested.

I do have PMs stored which go back several years. Whether I really need them ... interesting point!

I shall go back to pruning the emails I have in order toI create enough space so that the system continues to function.

Comment

The issue there is the format in which they are downloaded.

OK - so nobody else seems to be interested.

I do have PMs stored which go back several years. Whether I really need them ... interesting point!

I shall go back to pruning the emails I have in order toI create enough space so that the system continues to function.
                I think a bit of digital decluttering is nigh!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I think a bit of digital decluttering is nigh!
                  Not the highest priority, but might happen in the next week or two.

Comment

Not the highest priority, but might happen in the next week or two.
                    Or like me year or two!

Comment

It's nice to have PMs that remind one where one's interests and general thinking about various matters were at the time; also to still have messages from forum members who have sadly passed on. So far I haven't needed to delete any of the latter, though I suppose the time will come too, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Or like me year or two!
                        Perhaps I should go through the 170 or so PMs that have been 'saved' for me and note down those which might be worth keeping in some form.

Comment

Working...
                        X