No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] Subscribing to a forum.

[Repeated from one of the main boards, as ff suggested]

Subscribing to a thread has an obvious use. One can use it as a filter and view just the subscribed threads. I can't immediately see a similar use for subscribing to a forum, as there doesn't seem to be an option to display only subscribed fora.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious, as usual?

I think this one will lie at the moment, Don. Research needed. You can often find answers on the internet by putting something in Google like:

vBulletin why subscribe to forums

This might either take you to the official vBulletin forum, which you will be able to read, or some of the unofficial vB sites. It's best for us (admin) to limit the number of queries we put in. A members' DIY approach might be best. If anyone does this, and finds the answer, it would be a kindness to report back. Then if the question's asked again people can be directed here. Many thanks.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

That's fine, ff. I'm not pestering. It's just that you did say repeat your unanswered questions here!

Comment

Well, there you go. It seems that by subscribing to a forum you can get daily or weekly updates about whats been posted. It's nothing to do with selective displaying. It strikes me the latter would be nice, in that the screen wouldn't be cluttered by detritus from forums in which you have no interest (I mention no names).

As for searching Google Groups, it's been my saviour in many matters over the years, from technical computer problems to solving work problems my colleagues were scratching their heads over, and I highly recommend it. I just thought in this case it was easier to ask at the horses mouth. I tend to forget that this is part of the wider vBulletin, just thinking of it as our own little world - how sweet, I hear you say?

I've just noticed that you suggested just searching plain Google. I emphasise that it is often much better to search Google Groups for solving these little problems. There you will see what the man in the street (man on the web?) is discussing, uncluttered by all the irrelevant commercial and normal sites.

Last edited by Guest; 03-12-10, 11:47. Reason: Adding observation about Google Groups.

Comment

Well done! When I said 'research needed', I meant by me - it wasn't intended as the bum's rush! The reason I suggested just Google and vBulletin is that there's a mass of specific vB information, but of course there are lots of other sources too. I think we can call this one 'Resolved'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Resolved indeed. And my bum didn't feel rushed, so don't worry.

Comment

Working...
            X