Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Messages

Firstly, I have tried to send 2 messages, but I don't think they got there. Am I overlooking something obvious? There is no record of messages sent; nor have there been any replies.

Secondly, how private is a private message? I have been ferretting around looking to see how members deal with their profiles. To my surprise I have unintentionally come across messages sent to varoius members. And furthermore, I have left a footprint behind me. I find it a bit disconcerting.

PatrickOD

I received your (2nd?) PM and replied - I hope you received it?

The content of Private Messages is ... private. In theory, I (as an administrator) could change your password, log in as you and peek into your PMs. This is unethical and you should be alerted by the fact that the next time you tried to log in your password wouldn't work. I wouldn't be able to change it back to the original, because I can't see what it is. It's private.

You are only allowed to store 50 messages in all, received and sent, and if you want to keep a record of all PMs, you can download them to your computer and delete them from your PM boxes.

If you visit another member's page, a record will be left that you visited. You will be able to read the Visitor Messages and, I think(?) add to them (that is my understanding - I read them as administrator). As I have posted elsewhere, Visitor Messages are not the same as Private Messages: they are 'forums' which are personal to the member whose profile page contains them. I'm not sure if you have to be a 'Friend' to post, but I think they can be read by all 'visitors'. No intimate information should be posted there!!!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I've left you a Visitor Message.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thank you. ff. Message received. It *was* a reply to my 2nd.

Comment

Just remembered, Patrick. There is a setting to Save your sent messages. If you have no record, perhaps it wasn't enabled?

Comment

Thank you again, ff. I'm sure the settings are perfectly clear and efficient. It is I who need to be enabled.

Comment

I wondered about that myself and panicked a little...then I found the right tab and all was well.

Visitor messages are different from private messages-- anyone can see your visitor messages by clicking on your avatar. Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
              X