Forum time [clock at bottom of page] not updating.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum time [clock at bottom of page] not updating.

When I return from 'Hibernate' my computer tells the correct time but the forum clock shows the time I last posted.

Should it update automatically - at the moment I have to reboot to get the correct information?

The time should update from the server, so should be independent of your computer time.

I have just managed to produce the problem on my machine.

I presume it happens because the hibernate process caches any web pages you have open when you switch off and then on switch-on reads them from the cache rather than from the web.

If you refresh the webpage (e.g. green up/down arrows on IE8), the time 'recovers', without the need to re-boot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you very much for trying Andrew. Unfortunately I am still on IE Vista, and at nearly 82 it doesn't seem worth updating. I can carry on like this then. Best wishes, salymap

Comment

saly

I think Andrew meant refresh/reload the page. If so, I would have thought that the clock should right itself automatically as you change pages. Do you mean it seems permanently stuck, even after you've, say, posted or changed to look at a new thread?

The page/clock doesn't automatically refresh in the sense that the time changes even if you go away to make a cup of tea. When I post this, the clock will change (hmmmmm, I hope).

Mmmmm, actually, it didn't - I had to press CTRL+R ... I wonder if there is a slight issue?

But it changed when I moved to a different page altogether ....
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Sorry ff over delay,someone clearing bins for me

No,I posted on Stormy Weather and it's 70 minutes slow by the time on the forum. Willtry againlater, Thanks

It'sjust changed over and then back. I am going for a cupof tea.

Comment

ff curiouser and curiouser. I posted on Stormy Weather some time ago and it updated. On returning to the problem it now says 10.53.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              ff curiouser and curiouser. I posted on Stormy Weather some time ago and it updated. On returning to the problem it now says 10.53.
              You're not using your back button to return to the page, are you?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

No ff, don't bother, leave it for now. Thanks, saly

Comment

I can't reproduce the problem either. The server sends the time as plain text.

Saly - just two final questions: what browser are you using, and how are you navigating between the pages (e.g. are you using multiple tabs, or are you going back via the 'forum' button at the top of the screen and then going to the 'stormy weather' thread via 'platform 3', and then coming back via 'how to')?

Comment

Internet Explorer, Andrew. I think I usually do it the second way you suggest.

I've been on iPlayer for quite a while and it's okay at the moment. Must log off now. Thanks for all your work.

Comment

Thanks, Saly - I can't explain it at the moment - will think about it.....

Comment

Working...
                      X