Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet speeds for streaming radio

I listen almost non stop to Radios 3 & 4 through the i-player. What I would like to know is what is the download (and upload?) rate for this, given that Net subscriptions in my part of the world limit my download usage to anything from 5-10 GB per month.

Also, what is the minimum speed that I would need to listen online? Would 155 Kbps be adequate?

Thanks.

Depends whether you want the high or low quality stream (for R3, at least).

Someone will be along shortly to tabulate the figures, I'm sure.

Comment

Thanks; I don't get HD in my part of the world.

Comment

Well, if it helps, my broadband speed recently dropped to an abysmal 100kbs (another story), but I could still stream radio at the normal quality.

Comment

Thanks v much - that helps.

Comment

Regarding keeping tabs on your internet usage, I can recommend the freeware Networx, available here:

SoftPerfect - Australian software development company. Free and commercial solutions for home, office, enterprise, local networks and the Internet.

Apart from instantaneous speed measurement, it gives all the stats you could want - total usage by, day, week month, etc, and even your suggested current daily quota worked out on the day of the month and your monthly limit.

The usual disclaimer - just a satisfied user!
            Last edited by Guest; 20-01-12, 12:13. Reason: Typo

Comment

Thanks again, DP!

Comment

Working...
              X