Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching

How can I search and see the actual post with my search term highlighted (as happens on other forums). All I end up with is a list of thread titles which isn't really helpful.

Thanks

RM

I agree. At the risk of upsetting Frenchie, it's a pain. What you have to do is somewhat convoluted. After your initial search, you then need to search each of the threads that initial search brought up. To search within those threads you use the newly revealed "Search Thread" drop-down, re-entering your search term. Not the most user-friendly of search facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I agree. At the risk of upsetting Frenchie, it's a pain. What you have to do is somewhat convoluted. After your initial search, you then need to search each of the threads that initial search brought up. To search within those threads you use the newly revealed "Search Thread" drop-down, re-entering your search term. Not the most user-friendly of search facilities.
      a masterpiece of understatement

Comment

Point taken. A rather old discussion here on the vBulletin forum, with something of an explanation, but it seems no solution still. I will hand this over to Andrew and Mark

If you're looking for something specific, rather than any general term, it needs some more detail in the search criteria (username &c.)..
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I have PM'd you.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think I know how to search, but I'm getting no results!

I'm contemplating launching a 'Summer BaL 2023' thread, asking for suggestions.
            I'm sure that I suggested Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin fairly recently (and that JosephK reacted positively though another member didn't) and that teamsaint suggested Strauss' Metamorphosen, but I can't find the thread even after several search attempts and combinations (words and usernames).
            It doesn't particularly matter, but it's odd just the same.

What might I be doing wrong?
            Can I search for a post with more than two (connected) words, such as Miraculous Mandarin, and if so would I use Miraculous+Mandarin (is a space around the + needed?) or quotes/double quotes?

Bryn will probably find it instantly!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              I think I know how to search, but I'm getting no results!

I'm contemplating launching a 'Summer BaL 2023' thread, asking for suggestions.
              I'm sure that I suggested Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin fairly recently (and that JosephK reacted positively though another member didn't) and that teamsaint suggested Strauss' Metamorphosen, but I can't find the thread even after several search attempts and combinations (words and usernames).
              It doesn't particularly matter, but it's odd just the same.

What might I be doing wrong?
              Can I search for a post with more than two (connected) words, such as Miraculous Mandarin, and if so would I use Miraculous+Mandarin (is a space around the + needed?) or quotes/double quotes?

Bryn will probably find it instantly!
              Frayed knot but if you are pretty sure two words (or more) appear together contiguously, put the sequence in quotes when using the Advanced Seearch function.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Frayed knot but if you are pretty sure two words (or more) appear together contiguously, put the sequence in quotes when using the Advanced Seearch function.

Not just me then.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Not just me then.
                  I have never found the search functions here particularly friendly. How about trying a Duckduckgo or G***le search? I often find that more productive than the BBC's own search function when searching for something on the BBC site.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 01-07-23, 13:31. Reason: Typos

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think possibly if you put in a username it looks for threads started by that user, not individual posts. Check 'Posts' (and not Thread Titles). That usually brings up a few thread suggestions which might jog your memory, then you can 'Search Thread'.

Comment

Working...
                    X