Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does it say 'what's playing now'

Dear all. If I want to know which piece of music is playing at this exact moment, where can I see that? I can't find it on on the schedules, the program page or the player page. I feel it used to be on the page that clicking the radio 3 logo took you to, but it doesn't take you to any page now.
    Thank you!

....Well Andrew with only 3 posts in almost 3 years I don't know if the combined force of the forum will come to your rescue....we normally like to average out at least one post a month to illicite information such as this (4,35 seems to be the minimum p/year that we have ever come down to; without first checking your use of the apostrophe [that's another dept, of which I am locked out])....best of luck when they wake, you will get the info I am sure....
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewAfresh View Post
      Dear all. If I want to know which piece of music is playing at this exact moment, where can I see that? I can't find it on on the schedules, the program page or the player page. I feel it used to be on the page that clicking the radio 3 logo took you to, but it doesn't take you to any page now.
      Thank you!
      Welcome, Andrew, to the Forum and to the iPlayer/Sounds confusion of the BBC!

if I understand your query, you refer to what is being played on Radio Three at any one moment, for which you now have to be in the bit of the BBC website now called Sounds, and the page for Radio Three. You then need to click on Radio 3 Schedule on the right: on this you need to click on the programme playing. This shows Music Played, but in my test it seems to update only at the end of the piece. I've described my process from a laptop, so it may be different on a phone. Others may come up with a faster route! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Welcome, Andrew, to the Forum and to the iPlayer/Sounds confusion of the BBC!

if I understand your query, you refer to what is being played on Radio Three at any one moment, for which you now have to be in the bit of the BBC website now called Sounds, and the page for Radio Three. You then need to click on Radio 3 Schedule on the right: on this you need to click on the programme playing. This shows Music Played, but in my test it seems to update only at the end of the piece. I've described my process from a laptop, so it may be different on a phone. Others may come up with a faster route! Good luck.
        I think the "update only at the end of a piece" business may have come in after some concerns about broadcasting were made some while back by copyright holders - mainly for pop music - and was initiated in the USA. I didn't think it had affected R3 until now, but basically for programmes containing current pop tunes there was concern that people were looking at the upcoming music, then recording the ones that they wanted to keep, thus avoiding paying for a CD or download.

In the case of R3 this is pretty much a complete pain, and doesn't make sense, and times have moved on anyway. However, people who have internet can generally now listen to programmes for quite a while after the first broadcast, so it is still possible to hear whatever pieces were afterwards. I don't know what effect the delayed listening feature via internet has had on pop music culture - where it would be possible to record a programme of "the latest hits this week" after the event. Anyone who wanted to bootleg the latest hits would probably find a way to do it anyway, so this is very likely to have become a pointless annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I think the "update only at the end of a piece" business may have come in after some concerns about broadcasting were made some while back by copyright holders - mainly for pop music - and was initiated in the USA. I didn't think it had affected R3 until now, but basically for programmes containing current pop tunes there was concern that people were looking at the upcoming music, then recording the ones that they wanted to keep, thus avoiding paying for a CD or download.

In the case of R3 this is pretty much a complete pain, and doesn't make sense, and times have moved on anyway. However, people who have internet can generally now listen to programmes for quite a while after the first broadcast, so it is still possible to hear whatever pieces were afterwards. I don't know what effect the delayed listening feature via internet has had on pop music culture - where it would be possible to record a programme of "the latest hits this week" after the event. Anyone who wanted to bootleg the latest hits would probably find a way to do it anyway, so this is very likely to have become a pointless annoyance.
          If you happen to be listening to Radio 3 via your TV on Channel 703, the piece currently played is displayed, at least during some programmes.

Comment

Thank you!
            There used to be a scrolling box at the top of the page - it was of limited use for checking as it wasn't updated in a timely fashion, so even for the concert programmes it would often still be showing the previous item several minutes after the start of the next, but I noticed some time ago that it had gone - the box now has other info. The same time lag exists for the 'Music Played' on the programme schedules, frustrating for the morning programmes which have numerous pieces in quick succession(which is why they are so disliked by many on this forum, but that's another story) so keeping track isn't straightforward. From the few times in the past I have listened to digital radio I seem to recollect that the scrolling info had the same time lag problem.
            As someone who is very much behind the times(FM radio, and no internet listening) I find it odd that even if I were more up to date there would still apparently be the same problem. Paper, pencil and a time check, to await a time when the PC is on is the solution for now.

Comment

Other changes suggest that Radio 3 is gradually retraining us to conceive of music as a seamless flow of disparate musics, a background to our lives, and that we shouldn't bother too much focusing on any particular aspect (style, composer, work, performance) since All is One in a dreamy cosmos of Slow Radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Boso View Post
                Other changes suggest that Radio 3 is gradually retraining us to conceive of music as a seamless flow of disparate musics, a background to our lives, and that we shouldn't bother too much focusing on any particular aspect (style, composer, work, performance) since All is One in a dreamy cosmos of Slow Radio.
                I fear so.
                BUT
                on my DAB set, I do get listed each new piece - well, mostly.

Comment

Comment

I've just arrived at these dreary comments after listening to today's superb lunchtime song recital. I disagree quite vehemently - inasmuch, that is, as I can understand what you're on about: "dreamy cosmos"?? "musics"? What on earth is All is One? It has capital letters so must be a proper noun but I have no idea what it refers to. Slow Radio is also capitalised so must also be a proper noun - a radio station I've never heard of? It is blatantly obvious that Radio Three will get some things wrong for some people and I have frequently been critical on these boards. On the whole, however, I am deeply grateful for the riches it has offered me over the decades and still does. I do not expect Radio Three to be the same as it was under Hans Keller when I first started listening as a teenager over 50 years ago and mistrust dewy-eyed harking back to perceived good old days. I also do not lie in bed at night in paranoid angst about A BBC "retraining" agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      I've just arrived at these dreary comments after listening to today's superb lunchtime song recital. I disagree quite vehemently - inasmuch, that is, as I can understand what you're on about: "dreamy cosmos"?? "musics"? What on earth is All is One? It has capital letters so must be a proper noun but I have no idea what it refers to. Slow Radio is also capitalised so must also be a proper noun - a radio station I've never heard of? It is blatantly obvious that Radio Three will get some things wrong for some people and I have frequently been critical on these boards. On the whole, however, I am deeply grateful for the riches it has offered me over the decades and still does. I do not expect Radio Three to be the same as it was under Hans Keller when I first started listening as a teenager over 50 years ago and mistrust dewy-eyed harking back to perceived good old days. I also do not lie in bed at night in paranoid angst about A BBC "retraining" agenda.
                      An uncharacteristically literal reading of another's post there, gurney!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        An uncharacteristically literal reading of another's post there, gurney!
                        Good grief! Yes, thank you. I'm stunned. The words 'is gradually' surely indicates that I was not suggesting that the entire Radio 3 timetable was included, merely such sequences of 'seamless disparate music' as Breakfast, Essential Classica, sundry mixtapes, the River of Music experience of a couple of years back, any sequences of minimal information and mixes of musical styles.

Musics (plural) is not my invention but a fairly recent formation which some people object to: it refers (as I understand it) to distinct categories of music which differ greatly in style.

Slow Radio is capitalised because it is a frequently repeated form of broadcasting, recently championed by Radio 3, about which you can read more here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05k5bq0 , the purpose of which is stated to provide a relaxing, meditative experience away from the hurly-burly of modern life - hence entering a 'dreamy cosmos'.

All in One was my personal way of describing the melange of many kinds of music into one aural backdrop.

If I have omitted anything else which you found inexplicable, enquire within. No offence taken.

Addition: by 'you' in the above, I address the critic, not Mr Apologist
                        Last edited by Guest; 19-06-20, 16:10. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          I find the whole R3 better than now or in the past really interesting. I am early 30's and first came to R3 in my mid 20s. I actually have taste in a lot of things older than my years (popular music, TV etc) and love to explore old things. I have often browsed the Genome pages to get a sense of how R3 has changed. I like spoken word radio so I'm sad that we now have fewer talks than we used to. I would have been nice to have heard more programmes of that sort. However we are where we are and one is always a productive of one's time. I don't really know any other R3 than that which I have heard over the last decade (just slightly less than that to be accurate) and I have been a daily listener for at least five years.

It has it's strength's and weaknesses but there are jewels such as CoTW and Lunchtime Concert. I use modern technology in a big way (Iplayer Radio helped me become an R3 addict) and essentially I listen to R3 a month in arrears (it works for me!) and whatever gripes one may have about the modern world and it's view of high culture (a whole other debate) that could not have been done in the past.

Radio 3 in the past was a product of a different society with different technology and a different attitude to high culture. I think what we have now strikes some sort of balance and we tend to forget how lucky we are to have it. I for one get great pleasure from it.

Just my two pence worth. Please do excuse the somewhat long and rambling autobiographical post!

Comment

Thank you!
                            The only (unsatisfactory) solution which occurs to me is to Scroll back and hunt for the presenter's introduction for the item - and then return to your listening point.

Comment

Thank you!
                              Coincidentally, I have today received a new purchase of Bose headphones. Having set up the relevant apps (Bose and BBC Sounds) via my iPhone, I find there is a continuous scrolling of 'what's playing' - but it seems to be a part of the Bose app, though clearly feeding from BBC data.

Comment

Working...
                              X