Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on organising R3 listening.

I find there are so many things that I might want to listen to but then I miss them. I do all my listening to R3 via BBC Sounds (the amount varies, I seem to dip in out).

Does anybody here have any strategies?

I think I need to be more selective, but then I think well what might I miss!

Yes my tried and trusted strategy involves switching Radio 3 on at 08.30 in the morning and switching it off at 22.00 . You do need to get quite good at working, reading , watching telly at the same time though..…

Comment

I get Radio Times on Tuesdays from my local store, go through it, and mark items of interest in red biro.

Comment

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
        I find there are so many things that I might want to listen to but then I miss them. I do all my listening to R3 via BBC Sounds (the amount varies, I seem to dip in out).

Does anybody here have any strategies?

I think I need to be more selective, but then I think well what might I miss!
        Same here (regarding listening via Sounds). I download programmes, concerts etc to which I want to listen, on the iPad or iPhone - then the “My Sounds / Downloads” section of the app is where I head for listening.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

If I was to show the slightest sign of cynicism I’d say that with all the trailers on R3 there is is no real excuse for missing anything but in truth that is no real help - there are some forum members who are very good at heading up some programmes but not all - I use the proramme infomon Sounds and other on line guides to check things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            Same here (regarding listening via Sounds). I download programmes, concerts etc to which I want to listen, on the iPad or iPhone - then the “My Sounds / Downloads” section of the app is where I head for listening.
            Nick, I would be interested to know how you do this. (PM if you prefer.)

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I get Radio Times on Tuesdays from my local store, go through it, and mark items of interest in red biro.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Nick, I would be interested to know how you do this. (PM if you prefer.)
                In the “Sounds” app you click on the broadcast programme in the schedule that you want to download, and in the programme page which appears, you click the ‘download’ button:

(The button usually appears within about 15 minutes after the transmission has ended)

The % progress of the download will be visible and a tick will appear when complete.

To find your downloaded programmes, you click on the ‘My sounds’ button at the bottom of the screen, and then on the ‘Downloads’ section:

You’ll see all your downloaded programmes there and simply click the ‘play’ arrow visible next to each one to listen to it.

You don’t need any data/wifi signal to play them. They automatically disappear after any time limit (often 30 days).
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Thanks to all for their contributions. I think a combination of Serial Apol. and Nick should see me write. I'll also try and sort downloads via expiry.

Comment

Belated thanks, Nick, for download advice!

Comment

Belated thanks, Nick, for download advice!
                      And from me too!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                        In the “Sounds” app you click on the broadcast programme in the schedule that you want to download, and in the programme page which appears, you click the ‘download’ button:

(The button usually appears within about 15 minutes after the transmission has ended)

The % progress of the download will be visible and a tick will appear when complete.

To find your downloaded programmes, you click on the ‘My sounds’ button at the bottom of the screen, and then on the ‘Downloads’ section:

You’ll see all your downloaded programmes there and simply click the ‘play’ arrow visible next to each one to listen to it.

You don’t need any data/wifi signal to play them. They automatically disappear after any time limit (often 30 days).
                        Regrettably, there is no such app available for PC or Mac. However, for the PC (Windows or Linux) or Mac, there is get_iplayer, a third party program that alerts the user when the 30-day limit is reached.

Comment

I think I was asking Nick with a view to being able to permanently download selected items, but it seems from Nick's and Bryn's posts that that is not an option; and no doubt illegal.

Comment

I think I was asking Nick with a view to being able to permanently download selected items, but it seems from Nick's and Bryn's posts that that is not an option; and no doubt illegal.
                            I suppose there is the modern equivalent of the "off-air" recording. If you listen to the programme online, you can record it on to your hard drive with the right app (like Audio Hijack Pro). Not as convenient as the accelerated downloads for later listening. But you do have the option of listening to the live programme or at your convenience recorded through Sounds (in which case you may not want a recording anyway).
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

While not encouraging exploiting the loophole, get_iplayer gives a reminder at the end of the 30 days, it does not delete the files. That job is left to the user. I am not sure whether Pure still offer DAB radios with an SD card slot to which the DAB mp2 can be saved. Where it was, as in the Bug, Bug Too, Evoke 3 etc. A scheduler was included to aid such recordings. However, even when Rado 3 uses 192kbps, the mp2 codec sound way less satisfactory than Sound's 320kbps AAC-LC. As a rule of thumb, 192kbps mp2 is considered approximately equivalent in audio quality to a 128kbps mp3.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 13-12-21, 16:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X