X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Printer connections

Do most printers nowadays only support connection either by USB or by Wi-Fi, but not both at the same time?

In the past that was pretty much the case, so that it required a complete reconfiguration to change networks, or connect to a different machine.
    Now that systems such as Airplay rely on wireless, some printers may be clever enough to do both, but I'm not aware of any.

At present I'm staring at documentation for a Canon MG4150 wondering whether to switch from wired (USB) link to wireless, which could have some benefits, but also present some new snags no doubt.

Printers which could have multiple connections could be useful, if they exist in the domestic market.
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

I drive my Canon MG5550 via USB from my desktop and wirelessly from my laptop, with no problems at all.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Do most printers nowadays only support connection either by USB or by Wi-Fi, but not both at the same time?

In the past that was pretty much the case, so that it required a complete reconfiguration to change networks, or connect to a different machine.
      Now that systems such as Airplay rely on wireless, some printers may be clever enough to do both, but I'm not aware of any.

At present I'm staring at documentation for a Canon MG4150 wondering whether to switch from wired (USB) link to wireless, which could have some benefits, but also present some new snags no doubt.

Printers which could have multiple connections could be useful, if they exist in the domestic market.

If your hub has a USB socket, can you not wire the printer into that and then address it from anywhere on the network (wired or wireless)?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        I drive my Canon MG5550 via USB from my desktop and wirelessly from my laptop, with no problems at all.
        OK - so you mean you have the USB connected to the desktop, plus you also have the printer on the network and can access it with your laptop.

If so, then I need to check if I can do the same with the 4150. Thanks for the information.

To Don - not sure about the hub, but it's a in a different room. Could do the printing via Printer Sharing, but that would require the desktop machine to be on. The kit doesn't belong to me anyway, so moving stuff around and serious reconfiguring might not be welcomed.

If the wireless connectivity could work additionally to the USB, that'd be great.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          To Don - not sure about the hub, but it's a in a different room. Could do the printing via Printer Sharing, but that would require the desktop machine to be on. The kit doesn't belong to me anyway, so moving stuff around and serious reconfiguring might not be welcomed.
          Yes. Doesn't sound like a simpler set up if the hub is elsewhere, and I hadn't visualised the need for the desktop to be on. I'd assumed it might still go laptop-wireless-hub-wire-printer with the desktop off. (I leave my desktop on all the time, with monitor off at night and when we're away, on the principle that it's better not to keep switching the electronics or having fluctuating temperatures inside the box.)

Comment

• clive heath

I don't know whether this helps but I just went to my Dell Tower linked (USB,Dell, to that square thingy input) to my HP Photosmart 8450 and ordered a print. The printer started of its own accord as usual from "off" but obviously on some kind of standby. Which doesn't get over the dell having to be on problem but is a step in the right direction, I hope.

Comment

Working...
            X