• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

.doc & .docx

Just a quickie: will most PCs open .docx files these days? Sorry, to be so ignorant ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Just a quickie: will most PCs open .docx files these days? Sorry, to be so ignorant ...
    Depends! If there is a recent version of MS Word they should. Older versions of Word may also be able to open them, depending on how "updated" they are. In the past MS have made tools to at least allow reading of different versions of files created witth newer versions of Word, such as Word Viewer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090

Other third party software may find .docx files troublesome, or not be able to create files in .docx format. In the past that would have included Open Office Writer, and the Writer in Libre Office. Users of Mac OS X may occasionally find that ,docx files get treated/misrepresented as a zip archive collection.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

It depends on the version of Word you've got. I used to have only Word 2003, and it wouldn't - it would offer me a conversion tool but I could never get it to work.

Now I have a new computer with Word 2007, but I could probably have bought that and installed it on the old PC.

Comment

• Don Petter

I have downloaded a converter from the Microsoft site for both of our machines. It deals with both .docx and .xlsx files, enabling you to save them as .doc and .xls.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Easiest will probably be to make a .doc file as well as the .docx (people have to be able to open it and write on it, so pdf won't do). I'm not sure if I can save Suffy's .xlsx as .xls (yes, I can). Could people try them out if they don't think they have the wherewithal to cope with the Mac version?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I remember when .docx came out, I was using Windows at the time and all of a sudden couldn't open documents sent to me.
            Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

Open Office (or the other free options) is the way to go IMV

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Easiest will probably be to make a .doc file as well as the .docx...
              I used to try to get people to do that, but they were very disobliging about it. So I had to forward the file to someone's laptop and get her to convert it intop a .doc for me & send it back!

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

I have this problem because of the variety of correspondents with varying age computer systems We simply always use .doc on the baiss everything will open it and the only real cost is that the file is a bit bigger. Most of our files are quite small anyway and so it is no big deal. The wider range of formatting options etc in .docx and the smaller file is of no consequence in our case needs.

If formatting is not an issue use a .txt or even .rtf!!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                  If formatting is not an issue use a .txt or even .rtf!!
                  Someone did once request a file (.doc) in .rtf ...

Comment

Working...
                  X