Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Query

I'm connected to the internet via TalkTalk and my anti virus security is Norton 360. I've recently started getting pop-up messages from Norton saying that I'm connected to an insecure network but my laptop is telling me that I'm securely connected to my TalkTalk router. I've checked all the cables to the router and run tests on TalkTalk's site but they keep on saying that no problem can be detected.

I'm hopeless with technical issues and wonder if anyone can tell me what's going on and if I need to be concerned.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I'm connected to the internet via TalkTalk and my anti virus security is Norton 360. I've recently started getting pop-up messages from Norton saying that I'm connected to an insecure network but my laptop is telling me that I'm securely connected to my TalkTalk router. I've checked all the cables to the router and run tests on TalkTalk's site but they keep on saying that no problem can be detected.

I'm hopeless with technical issues and wonder if anyone can tell me what's going on and if I need to be concerned.
    Tricky! Is your laptop connected to your router via a wired connnection or wireless? Some of these warning systems seem to detect whether there's a wireless link somewhere along the way. Wireless links are a potential problem, though that depends where you live. If you live in a rural area with fields around, then probably the cows or sheep aren't going to present any issues, but if you live in a house or flat in an urban or suburban environment then chances are that there are at least half a dozen - or nowadays rather more - potential wireless connections which might attach to your laptop - or your laptop could attach to them.

I have seen that kind of message myself on occasion - sometimes when I have tried to connect to IMSLP for a score. Ultimately I guess you just have to take a punt and assess whether there is a serious risk or not. You can try using different systems, with different browsers - though that may simply demonstrate that some may be doing more checking. Absence of a warning doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem. Some security tools may give more warnings, perhaps not because they are better or more protective than other tools, but in an attempt to convince the user that they are doing a good job.

Comment

I think Dave2002's advice is good.

Does this Norton webpage help? https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...ons/v119368797

Your Norton device security product now has a new feature to inform you if your WiFi network is secured. Whenever your device connects to a Wi-Fi network, your Norton product automatically checks for the encryption level used by the Wi-Fi network, and notifies you if it is unsecure.
      Most of the public Wi-Fi networks normally use the 'WEP' open authentication that is unsecure. This type of encryption has many security flaws that can cause your personal information, like your network traffic, to be seen. Your home network can also be flagged as unsecured if the encryption type is set to 'WEP'.
      For enhanced security, we recommend that you choose 'WPA2' as the encryption type for your network, which is the most secure encryption type available. For more information on how to change the encryption type, refer to the help documentation for the router, or contact your router manufacturer.
      If you often use the public Wi-Fi hotspots, or open wireless networks, we suggest you to try Norton Secure VPN. Norton Secure VPN is a VPN - or virtual private network - that protects the data you send and receive when you're on public Wi-Fi. Now you can connect safely and privately with your PC, Mac, or mobile device anywhere you go. Learn more about Norton Secure VPN.

If you do not want to be notified again about the unsecure Wi-Fi network, in the alert window, click Don't Remind Me.​

I'm using Bitdefender, and it often tries to persuade me to pay extra for their VPN

You could look to changing from WEP to WPA2 (if that is the problem), but, to be honest, I'm always reluctant to fiddle with a working network.

Comment

Thanks, Dave2002 and Aunt Daisy, that all provides a good explanation and a measure of relief that I've probably got little to be concerned about. I used to be with Bullguard who were unobtrusive and never pushy but Norton took them over and seem to want to remind you of their existence every so often.

Comment

I've sometimes wondered how, if you've clicked 'Don't remind me/show this again', you can ever go back to being alerted should you change your mind, so I tend not to click such options.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I am no true techie but past messages I sometimes received re the old board make me wonder whether this problem occurs to you even when the URL for the site you are connected to starts with "https", or only with those starting "http" with no "s"? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

I am no true techie but past messages I sometimes received re the old board make me wonder whether this problem occurs to you even when the URL for the site you are connected to starts with "https", or only with those starting "http" with no "s"? Just a thought.
              The particular pop-up message I get from Norton appears on screen usually, but not always, before I've entered any website at all which seems to bear out what Dave2002 says about my laptop searching the half dozen or so networks around here. I take the scary looking 'threat detected' message as an internet connection issue rather than anything to do with a website. Dave's explanation and Aunt Daisy's post seem to bear this out.

Comment

Working...
              X