Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Sorry, Richard, I'd need to go to the library and get out an appropriate book to understand that. The stereo or hifi (this one) is what used to be called a 'music centre'. It has a tuner aka a radio, a cassette deck, an MD player and a CD player, with recording facility to transfer from one of the various media to another. And yes, the stereo has phono, P-MD (what the dickens is that?) and USB-B ports (see image). johnb, late of these boards, also set me up with pre-amp and cables to connect a turntable. All of those use the stereo's speakers. So what I need is a set-up that uses the computer's 'system audio' rather than the stereo speakers; then I can use Audio Hijack to record the minidiscs. I think.

Page 44 of your manual suggests that you need a Windows computer with a driver installed. However if you have the USB type B->A cable and connected it to your Apple system, then maybe it'll do something with it - the question then is "What?".

It sounds as though you have already got that far. The copy protection system might stop things from happening if you use the USB cable, though it sounds from what you have suggested that something is getting through. See next para - and install Audacity! If there is audio input via the digital link and your computer is picking that up, then you should be able to record in Audacity - but would have to switch to that input source.

The P-MD socket is I think an input socket, which you can use to connect an external Portable Mini Disc (P-MD) player to this to make analogue recordings on the internal MD. The Phones output is just an analogue output - which will almost certainly be controlled by the volume control on your unit. If you connect that socket to a suitable audio input device [not sure if your laptops have audio inputs] then you can set the levels, play the MDs on the unit, and record - for example using Audacity - which is a free download and fairly easy to use. OK - doing analogue copies will involve a slight loss in audio quality, but that can be minimised. The biggest issue is just the time taken to do this in real time.

If you don't have any audio inputs on any of your computers, then there are some fairly cheap ones which should do the job - look on Amazon. Check if the M-Audio ones will do - they have the merits of cheapness and portability. You may not be intending to do much of this - though if you were, some other models - Behringer, Focusrite etc. might be better, but would cost more, and you might end up with a rack of connection cables!

Comment

I think this Behringer device - U-PHONE UFO202 - check availability from Amazon or elsewhere - probably under £20 at the moment - will do the job, though you'd need a cable to connect from the phones output of your MD player device so would need to match up the plug ends. An issue might be whether your MD device has mini jacks or full size jacks - looks as though they might be full size, but I can't tell immediately. Solvable anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        An issue might be whether your MD device has mini jacks or full size jacks - looks as though they might be full size, but I can't tell immediately. Solvable anyway!​
        3.5mm. I wondered whether Audio Hijack Pro had any setting, but I can't see one. Not one that works, anyway. I think I need to have a little lie-down now.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Dave has already covered some of the points I would have raised. Can you directly plug the minidisc player into that Phono-Minidisc input?
          Also make sure the usb port is for accepting files from a computer or a thumb drive, and not just for system updates.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            Dave has already covered some of the points I would have raised. Can you directly plug the minidisc player into that Phono-Minidisc input?
            Also make sure the usb port is for accepting files from a computer or a thumb drive, and not just for system updates.
            I've made some (limited) progress in that I can now identify the "gadget": is it an adaptor? is it an interface? no it's this. No longer available, but I already have one so that's no problem. It's also clear that it will function with Macs via GarageBand. That's the good news. The bad news is that installing GarageBand (no, I don't have it already) means upgrading the OS to Ventura and the MacBook will not upgrade beyond Monterey. So first get a new MacBook. Technology is a full-time job, isn't it?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I've made some (limited) progress in that I can now identify the "gadget": is it an adaptor? is it an interface? no it's this. No longer available, but I already have one so that's no problem. It's also clear that it will function with Macs via GarageBand. That's the good news. The bad news is that installing GarageBand (no, I don't have it already) means upgrading the OS to Ventura and the MacBook will not upgrade beyond Monterey. So first get a new MacBook. Technology is a full-time job, isn't it?
              Pity you don't already have Garageband - didn't it come with the machine? Your gadget looks like some sort of audio interface, though from the picture we can see the only "obvious" feature is probably an optical interface. Can you get a photo of the other side perhaps - where I'd probably expect to see some sockets.

Re the lack of Garageband - although that's a shame it's not terminal I think. You should be able to install Audacity or Ocenaudio [Audacity would probably be easier] for free, and if you can get them to recognise the interface then recordings should work quite nicely.

Comment

That's helpful, Dave2002 :-). The other side has input and output sockets for RCA connectors, plus the USB port which will connect with the stereo.

(I may have removed Garage Band - 8 years is a long time to remember back )

Comment

That's helpful, Dave2002 :-). The other side has input and output sockets for RCA connectors, plus the USB port which will connect with the stereo.

(I may have removed Garage Band - 8 years is a long time to remember back )
                  If you have - which I think you should have - an Apple account - then you might be able to get a compatible Garageband version with your OS by going to your Purchase history - though really Audacity should do the job.

A bit of tinkering around should hopefully get this going if you are getting anything happening on your laptop. I feel that checking System Preferences when the device is connected should give you some clues. Set that and make a match in Audacity, and you should be able to get something working.

Unfortunately one of the other experts about Audacity is currently not able to comment on this site.

Comment

I've come to this discussion late and it may be slightly off-topic. However, here goes!

When I first was given, as a Christmas present by my parents, a record player in the mid-1960s, the turntable offered 4 speeds - 16, 33,45 and 78. I am of course familiar withe last three, but have never discovered a 16rpm recording and have no idea what it was used for. On the face of things it would have seemed a good idea allowing up to an hour's music on each side. I presume that there were serious issues with the format but can anyone enlighten me?

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                      I've come to this discussion late and it may be slightly off-topic. However, here goes!

When I first was given, as a Christmas present by my parents, a record player in the mid-1960s, the turntable offered 4 speeds - 16, 33,45 and 78. I am of course familiar withe last three, but have never discovered a 16rpm recording and have no idea what it was used for. On the face of things it would have seemed a good idea allowing up to an hour's music on each side. I presume that there were serious issues with the format but can anyone enlighten me?
                      Discogs lists quite a few!

Comment

I had forgotten 16 2/3 rpm. No wonder it was largely used for spoken word. and, I suppose , in broadcast studios to achieve the longer recording time. As with real 78 decks, thought I don't suppose there are many players left. My Audio-technica turntable has a 78 speed but I wouldn't attempt to play a 78 disc on it as the pickup is quite unsuitable. I've kept a few 78s largely for sentimental value, including the first record I bought, for tuppence (two old pence) of sides five and six of Elgar's second symphony in the 1927 recording, and the complete Death and the Maiden quartet played by the short-lived Philharmonia quartet, on four dark blue Columbias, as I dont think it's ever been reissued.

Comment

16 2/3 rpm may end up as the ultimate defunct audio format - let's hope they can figure it out in the Gliese 445 system:

Comment

Working...
                          X