X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Blu-ray sound formats

I now have a number of Blu-ray discs mainly operas rather than orchestral performances.

On the main labels C Major & Arthaus, Opus Arte, Unitel, Decca, Dynamic, DG & Erato the available sound formats generally are:

i) LPCM Stereo 2.0ch, 48kHz/24bit (sometimes 16 bit)
    ii) DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0ch, 48kHz (sometimes 5.1ch)
    and ccasionally instead of ii)
    iii) Dolby Digital 5.1, 48kHz

I will be most grateful if someone could please explain what we have here or point me in the right direction.
    For example which is the surround sound option and what is the purpose of Dobly Digital option?
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    I now have a number of Blu-ray discs mainly operas rather than orchestral performances.

On the main labels C Major & Arthaus, Opus Arte, Unitel, Decca, Dynamic, DG & Erato the available sound formats generally are:

I will be most grateful if someone could please explain what we have here or point me in the right direction.
    For example which is the surround sound option and what is the purpose of Dobly Digital option?
    The second and third options are both surround sound options. Your pre amp may be able to decode one or the other, but most can decode both. The Dolby option was developed by the Dolby company, dts by a competitor. I prefer the dts, but the differences are marginal at best.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

i) is straight forward uncompressed high definition 2 channel stereo
      ii) is high definition lossless 5 channel or 5 + sub-woofer surround
      iii) if stated only as Dolby Digital, as against Dolby TrueHD, could be either lossy (AC3 encoded) 2 channel or surround (insufficient info). If Dolby TrueHD, it is lossless and high definition.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Thanks very much for the replies.

I've noticed that with DTS-HD Master Audio the option is either 5.0ch or 5.1ch. What difference does this make?

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Thanks very much for the replies.

I've noticed that with DTS-HD Master Audio the option is either 5.0ch or 5.1ch. What difference does this make?
          I think the .1 denotes a channel for (very) low frequencies - often considered non directional, and possibly used for sound effects, such as volcanos erupting, or earthquakes, in films with surround tracks. Such tracks are usually fed to a woofer or sub woofer.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I think the .1 denotes a channel for (very) low frequencies - often considered non directional, and possibly used for sound effects, such as volcanos erupting, or earthquakes, in films with surround tracks. Such tracks are usually fed to a woofer or sub woofer.

to simplify this response, the0.1 refers to the presence or absence of a subwoofer in your system.
            A 5.1 system, the most basic surround system, consists of 2 front speakers (the two in a traditional stereo setup), a Center Speaker (intended primarily to handle spoken word in movies or TV), and to rear speakers--thus the "5" in 5.1 or 5.0 The numbers after the decimal refer to the number of subwoofers in the system.
            A video designated as 5.0 will not have subwoofer content, but instead direct the bass to the other 5 speakers. If the video is a 5.1 disc, but your system does not contain a sub, then the bass content will similarly be directed to the 5 speakers.
            A 2.1 system has the fronts and the sub; 3.1 the fronts, center and sub; a 7 (or greater).1 will have 7 speakers and a sub; and so on.
            Last edited by richardfinegold; 10-01-16, 21:59. Reason: typo

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              to simplify this response, the0.1 refers to the presence or absence of a subwoofer in your system.
              A 5.1 system, the most basic surround system, consists of 2 front speakers (the two in a traditional stereo setup), a Center Speaker (intended primarily to handle spoken word in movies or TV), and to rear speakers--thus the "5" in 5.1 or 5.0 The numbers after the decimal refer to the number of subwoofers in the system.
              A video designated as 5.0 will not have subwoofer content, but instead direct the bass to the other 5 speakers. If the video is a 5.1 disc, but your system does not contain a sub, then the bass content will similarly be directed to the 5 speakers.
              A 2.1 system has the fronts and the sub; 3.1 the fronts, center and sub; a 7 (or greater).1 will have 7 speakers and a sub; and so on.
              Thanks very much Richard.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Thanks very much Dave for that detailed explanation. I think I would like to learn more about this subject. I would love to know of an article or book which contains this type of information.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Thanks very much Dave for that detailed explanation. I think I would like to learn more about this subject. I would love to know of an article or book which contains this type of information.
                  Robert Harley, who is the Editor of the Audiophile magazine The Absolute Sound, has written chapters in his books on High End Audio, which he updates every few years. I used his books when I taught myself the basics of Home Theatre, about a decade ago.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Robert Harley, who is the Editor of the Audiophile magazine The Absolute Sound, has written chapters in his books on High End Audio, which he updates every few years. I used his books when I taught myself the basics of Home Theatre, about a decade ago.
                    Many thanks Richard.

Comment

Working...
                    X