Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure whether this is a load of nonsense or correct.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post

http://www.techradar.com/news/bbc-ra...udio-this-year
      Good if true but I suspect that someone failed to note the updated duration of the trial.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post

http://www.techradar.com/news/bbc-ra...udio-this-year
        BBC R&D used the Proms in 2015 for their 4-channel trial, so it isn't implausible that they may be considering them this year as a shop-window trial for lossless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gweefry View Post
          BBC R&D used the Proms in 2015 for their 4-channel trial, so it isn't implausible that they may be considering them this year as a shop-window trial for lossless.
          It is possible that the Proms might present a different scenario re rights issues, so some might be possible. OTOH, didn't some foreign orchestras object to what they thought was higher quality digital (even if lossy) audio and video a few years ago? Lawyers, dotting 'i's and crossing 't's perhaps!

Comment

Originally posted by Gweefry View Post
            I've written to taster@bbc.co.uk to express my mixture of admiration and regret for the short-lived flac stream, and to ask them about whether it will return.... I'll update if I hear, but the more of us who contact them the better (pleading as much as your dignity allows, of course...)...

Comment

Just remembered this afternoon that last year I had bought, but never got round to using, a simple USB sound module with TOSlink in and out in addition to surround DAC. I have now installed it and am trying it out with Aida, feeding the optical output to an optical to SP/DIF coax convertor and on to my Alesis Masterlink (set to 48/16). If all goes well I will use it for H&N later tonight. I will then check whether it is much, if any, of an improvement on using Total Recorder on another laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                If all goes well I will use it for H&N later tonight. I will then check whether it is much, if any, of an improvement on using Total Recorder on another laptop.
                So you'll make sure you notice the background hum in the interviews - usually with Fiona - the half French violinist. I don't suppose it'll make much difference whether it's the HD or the FLAC stream during the interview sections. I still feel there is a difference in some pieces when listening on headphones. At its best the noise floor is very low in the FLAC version. The instrumental timbres are very clean too, and some ambience and resonance is captured, though this must depend on the recording techniques used.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  So you'll make sure you notice the background hum in the interviews - usually with Fiona - the half French violinist. I don't suppose it'll make much difference whether it's the HD or the FLAC stream during the interview sections. I still feel there is a difference in some pieces when listening on headphones. At its best the noise floor is very low in the FLAC version. The instrumental timbres are very clean too, and some ambience and resonance is captured, though this must depend on the recording techniques used.
                  Things did not go well due to oversights on my part in setting. The Verdi I only got via TR, and down-sampled to 44,1kHz, I missed the first 20 minutes or so of Hear and Now via the TOSlink to the Masterlink too. I will have a listen to what I have of the Hear and Now later.

Re, possible rights problems being a possible cause of the curtailment of the facility in 17 days, I can well understand record companies balking at their recordings being sent out in lossless format, but I would hope the facility might be reinstated for 'live' concerts.

Comment

By the way, the low cost USB to TOSlink optical digital converter I mentioned earlier is this one. There are even cheaper alternatives which look similar but claim to only handle up to 44.1kHz sample rate. As the Radio FLAC test uses 48kHz, the extra few pounds is worth it. Oh, and it's fine with Windows 10.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 16-04-17, 17:00.

Comment

By the way, the low cost USB to TOSlink optical digital converter I mentioned earlier is this one. There are even cheaper alternatives which look similar but claim to only handle up to 44.1kHz sample rate. As the Radio FLAC test uses 48kHz, the extra few pounds is worth it. Oh, and it's fine with Windows 10.
                      I've heard reports from others that some of the programmes are actually put out at 44.1 kHz, based on observations from several users who appear to know what they are doing and talking about with equipment they have. It's possible that there is a mix of different sample rates depending on the sources, or for other reasons. It is perfectly possible that the protocols might cope with several different sample rates or even bit depths - it would depend on how they were written/developed.

Comment

The Masterlink locks onto the clock rate of the incoming digital stream. It has always switched itself to 48kHz sample rate when offered that from the Taster. I have not tested continuously but would doubt the Beeb techies are switching the sample rate around. I won't go into the necessary steps to set up Audacity to record from the stream when running under Windows 10 here. Googling will lead the way. However, that also detects 48kHz, though opts for 32 bit float for quantization, eventually exporting as 16 bit.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 16-04-17, 22:52.

Comment

Yay....! Terrific latest news....! Proms 2017 in lossless!

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-pr...dio-first-time

So we'll lose it around May 2, but a real treat to look forward to.... !

.....keep an eye on R3/Proms 2017 websites for more details, but as with the current firefox trial, you'll almost certainly need to source it off a computer desktop, so if you're not equipped you've got a little time to sort it...
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-04-17, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

.....keep an eye on R3/Proms 2017 websites for more details, but as with the current firefox trial, you'll almost certainly need to source it off a computer desktop, so if you're not equipped you've got a little time to sort it...
                            WooHoo!! Lossless clapping between movements - Alpie will be over the moon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Curious, the report states the sample rate will be 44.1 kHz, yet the HD Sound aac stream uses 48 kHz, as has the current FLAC test whenever I have accessed it. Why would they drop the sample rate rather than use the same source material as is used for the HD Sound stream?

Comment

Curious, the report states the sample rate will be 44.1 kHz, yet the HD Sound aac stream uses 48 kHz, as has the current FLAC test whenever I have accessed it. Why would they drop the sample rate rather than use the same source material as is used for the HD Sound stream?
                                The article says that it'll be 'at a minimum' 16/44.1. I take that to mean that they don't know what it will be. My guess is that it will be 16/48 i.e. the same as the current FLAC and HD streams.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X