Hard drive behaviour when connected to Mac OS X (El Capitan)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard drive behaviour when connected to Mac OS X (El Capitan)

If I have a disk drive connected to my MBP - currently working with El Capitan - the drive sometimes comes to life even if I'm not using it. I am not talking about drives which are used for Time Machine, which will be activated periodically. Surely drives should only be accessed/powered up if the user activates a transfer to or from such drives.

Does anyone here understand this? is this intentional, a fault, a bug or something else?

I believe all drives update their directories regularily. I have 4 external drives connected to my MacPro and I hear occasional activity noise from time to time

Comment

Thanks for that. I noticed that my Seagate 3 Tbyte drive fired up for less than 5 seconds earlier today - though that is one which is used for TM - but there wasn't a backup actually scheduled for that time. When TM is backing up the drive is active for much longer.

I have another drive which supposedly has energy saver software to put the drives to sleep, but that doesn't work. I did notice that there is a setting in System Preferences -> Energy Saver (El Capitan, anyway) to "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". By itself this doesn't do the whole job. It seems that it is not completely independent of other activity (CPU etc.), but if "Computer sleep" is set to 3-5 minutes, or a suitably small value, there's a reasonable chance it will work. If the sleep time is set for an hour or more - which might make sense sometimes if there is a need for intensive activity - then I surmise that the drives very probably won't shut off in a hurry.

Comment

My computer friends have always advised me to leave drives running. Not sure why but I belive it puts more stress on them starting and stopping rather than continual running. I could be wrong! I can see that one might want to save battery in a laptop, but not in a mainframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
          My computer friends have always advised me to leave drives running. Not sure why but I belive it puts more stress on them starting and stopping rather than continual running. I could be wrong! I can see that one might want to save battery in a laptop, but not in a mainframe.
          I don't really believe that, but it may avoid some problems due to drives not being mounted/unmounted properly. Most drives in equipment which is working properly are probably not running all the while anyway, but only when really needed, in which case there is probably no major harm in leaving them on. However, it is clear that some drives do run when they don't need to - probably due to poor software design, so if ways can be found to turn them off safely when not needed that makes sense to me. In systems which have a requirement for rapid response (real time systems etc.) then it may be sensible to leave them on - though nowadays such critical systems would probably be allocated to SSD based systems. Also, some drives are hybrids, with some SSD memory (e.g Fusion drives) so the rotating disk won't spin up unless really necessary. Having drives which actually do rotate continuously will probably cause more heat than really necessary, and use more electricity which is arguably not a good thing.

Comment

Dave, since you seem to have constant computer problems
            would you like to buy my Arari 1040 ST ?
            Best computer i've ever had
            no hard drive so no problems there
            Operating system on floppy disc
            STILL working

unlike all the other Sony, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, Apple etc ones I've had since

Shame I don't have the Spectrum as well

Comment

Should have read Atari

BUT no matter how many times I try I can't edit anything on this ridiculous sodding forum software

AAAARGH

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                BUT no matter how many times I try I can't edit anything on this ridiculous sodding forum software

AAAARGH
                I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this, Gongers. I've logged out, logged in again with my 'Full Member' account, posted down in the basement, edited the post. No problem. Where exactly is the problem arising?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this, Gongers. I've logged out, logged in again with my 'Full Member' account, posted down in the basement, edited the post. No problem. Where exactly is the problem arising?
                  I click on EDIT POST
                  make a change
                  then click on SAVE
                  nothing happens
                  nothing happens on Safari, Firefox, Chrome
                  nothing happens on Snow Leopard, Yosemite, Mavericks

Even after a total reinstall on one of my computers

Comment

Mystery. I checked the Control Panel and all boards are set at YES to edit own posts and delete own posts.

I click on EDIT POST
                    make a change
                    then click on SAVE
                    nothing happens
                    nothing happens on Safari, Firefox, Chrome
                    nothing happens on Snow Leopard, Yosemite, Mavericks

Even after a total reinstall on one of my computers
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Mystery. I checked the Control Panel and all boards are set at YES to edit own posts and delete own posts.
                      I think we have been here before
                      New account ?

Comment

New account ?
                        It might be worth opening a second account and seeing if the fault is there too. I've been looking on the vBulletin forum and can only see edit problems with the entire forum (i.e. everyone) not just a single member. I suppose that might happen if your editing had been disabled, but it hasn't.

Alternatively, I could log on as you and see if I have the same problem - but would need to overwrite your password (then you could change it back).

Comment

New account ?
                          Just thought: if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, under Posting Permissions, does it say 'You may edit your posts'?

Comment

Just thought: if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, under Posting Permissions, does it say 'You may edit your posts'?
                            I get all of these

You may post new threads
                            You may post replies
                            You may post attachments
                            You may edit your posts

Comment

I get all of these
                              That's what the Control Panel confirms.

Comment

Working...
                              X