Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple App store updates seem to be unavailable

I've noticed problems in the last few days when trying to install updates to apps on my MBP from the App store.
    I wonder if something is blocking the downloads and the installation.

Shouldn't be a change that affects you, Dave, since you mention an MBP, but Apple started to require app-specific passwords for certain uses on other systems on 15 June. Just possible it backfired?
    Relatively smooth for me to activate my iCloud mail and SmoothSync (for my calendar) on my android smartphone, though the staff in the local Apple retailer in York were not aware of the change, and were not much help on its implications.
    Turns out that it's not really two-factor authorization, which Apple's warning email, mentioned in another thread, had suggested it was. You just have to turn that on to get the app-specific password you need.

Comment

Ah - you mention iCloud. Do I now have to have that turned on? If so, that's a pain.

I have been, and will continue to be, opposed to being forced to turn the wretched thing on, but perhaps I have no choice for the Apps now. It wasn't a problem a week or so back - maybe slightly more. Looks like I updated several bits of software on May 30th on this machine. I'll check the other machines later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Ah - you mention iCloud. Do I now have to have that turned on? If so, that's a pain.

I have been, and will continue to be, opposed to being forced to turn the wretched thing on, but perhaps I have no choice for the Apps now. It wasn't a problem a week or so back - maybe slightly more. Looks like I updated several bits of software on May 30th on this machine. I'll check the other machines later.
        You might indeed at the very least have to be signed in to iCloud or iTunes.
        Good luck!

Comment

Looks as though I did updates on one of the other machines as recently as 13th June. I'm suspicious that I have to have iCloud turned on in order to get the updates on the MBP - and that might have been after a recent system update. Not urgent yet, as the updates shown aren't particularly ones I'm bothered about, but it is a concern that they don't download and install when I opt to do so.

Comment

Maybe it was just a glitch! I rebooted the MBP and I didn't do anything special to enable iCloud and it looked then as though updates and new purchases were working.

So now, hopefully, back to what I expected in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X