Grrr. Just had to reset this laptop, losing all third party software.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrr. Just had to reset this laptop, losing all third party software.

While accessing one of the Brilliant Classics Mahler Symphonies listings on amazon.co.uk the laptop I am writing this on froze. No response from touchpad or keyboard. After several minutes I pressed and held the power button to shut it down. When I tried to restart it, it went into automatic repair mode but then reported it was unable to repair whatever the problem was. After trying all other suggested alternative methods of resolving the problem I was left with the choice of either a total reset (losing all saved data in the process) or a partial reset which would wipe all third party software but retain my saved data. Fortunately the latter option appears to have worked. Can't face re-installing all the third party apps tonight, so have resorted to using Microsoft Edge as my browser and temporarily relying on Windows Defender as my malware protection in the short term. What a pain!

Oops. Be grateful if a Mod would kindly correct the "tird" in the title to "third".

[Guessed you meant third - ff]
    Last edited by french frank; 27-09-17, 18:49.

Just some small observations and thoughts - you seem to have done what is known as a "Clean Install" preserving your data - which is the recommended course in these situations. I had to do the same about 6 months after installing Windows 10 2 years ago - and my system has been stable ever since. It certainly is a pain re-installing all the applications you rely on but at least you will get up-to-date copies of everything. I don't use Edge - I use Chrome - as I found Edge had several issues on my PC (playing music files from Audacity is one I remember - continual crackling). I also abandoned Norton Internet Security after I did my Clean Install. I now run Windows Defender (would you believe) and it runs seamlessly. It may not have the ultimate capabilities of some 3rd party AV tools, but it is built for Windows 10 and is well integrated, and stable. I would recommend you leave Defender in place and see how things go. Loads of information on the Internet about this. Most AV tools don't deal completely with Malware infections, anyway, and a tool like MalwareBytes can be installed temporarily if you are unfortunate enough to get infected, and then removed. I also keep my data backed up in 2 places, although this is easier with a desktop - which I have.
    Hope that's useful.

Comment

Thanks Chris. My usual browser on PCs is Firefox, though my default on Android is Chrome. I will see how Edge goes. The only software I have so far re-installed is Sound Forge Pro 11. Thank goodness I did not lose my recent audio files. Most masters are still also held on the SDHC cards they were recorded to, but in unedited form. The many hours spent editing would really hurt had the edited files been lost. I will probably re-install Malwarebytes Pro, but have had it with Avast! Premier. Too many clashes and false positives.

Comment

Don't you have a cloned backup?

Comment

What a b*gger.

I've never had anything remotely like that happen with Windows 7 (which I still use). Is this something I have to look forward to when I buy a new Windows 10 laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Don't you have a cloned backup?
            Not of this particular laptop. Now that Windows 10 Home 1607 has re-installed it is failing to download and install updates. It keeps trying to download an update to Defender which I already installed manually. Off to work now. Will see what happens through the day.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              What a b*gger.

I've never had anything remotely like that happen with Windows 7 (which I still use). Is this something I have to look forward to when I buy a new Windows 10 laptop?
              Not necessarily. This laptop was bought second hand and I upgraded the memory to 6GB with a used card. It my be a memory problem which caused the initial freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Not of this particular laptop. Now that Windows 10 Home 1607 has re-installed it is failing to download and install updates. It keeps trying to download an update to Defender which I already installed manually. Off to work now. Will see what happens through the day.
                Windows update (in Win 10) seems to have a mind of it's own as to when it decides to install updates. I often try the manual method if I get fed up waiting - (On the Windows Update page hit the "check for updates button") - the view update history option should tell you what has previously been installed. I have had several instances where updates have been delayed for a day or two but have always got there in the end.

Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update which is gradually being superseded by Creators Update Version 1703. It may shortly invite you to install that which can take and hour or more. Both versions are still being supported and updated by Microsoft. If you decide you really have a problem with Windows Update, there is a Repair tool for that, which I used once, I remember.

Learn how to run Windows Update Troubleshooter to resolve errors downloading or installing Windows updates.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                  Windows update (in Win 10) seems to have a mind of it's own as to when it decides to install updates. I often try the manual method if I get fed up waiting - (On the Windows Update page hit the "check for updates button") - the view update history option should tell you what has previously been installed. I have had several instances where updates have been delayed for a day or two but have always got there in the end.

Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update which is gradually being superseded by Creators Update Version 1703. It may shortly invite you to install that which can take and hour or more. Both versions are still being supported and updated by Microsoft. If you decide you really have a problem with Windows Update, there is a Repair tool for that, which I used once, I remember.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...troubleshooter
                  Many thanks. I am on my mobile phone at the moment but will investigate further this evening, after backing up all the recent files from the laptop with the problem.

Comment

Many thanks. I am on my mobile phone at the moment but will investigate further this evening, after backing up all the recent files from the laptop with the problem.
                    The errant laptop now up to date as far as Windows 10 1703 is concerned. Most used software packages re-installed.

Comment

The errant laptop now up to date as far as Windows 10 1703 is concerned. Most used software packages re-installed.
                      Stranger, however, is that another laptop, an HP Envy 6, which failed to update Windows 10 properly some months ago, and lost its audio functionality at the same time, updated to the latest manifestation of Windows 10 without problem yesterday, and the audio returned too. I was intending to rested Windows 10 on it, losing all installed third party software in the process. However, no need now. Go figure (which is, I presume, what the Microsoft techies have been doing).

Comment

When I tried to restart it, it went into automatic repair mode but then reported it was unable to repair whatever the problem was. After trying all other suggested alternative methods of resolving the problem I was left with the choice of either a total reset (losing all saved data in the process) or a partial reset which would wipe all third party software but retain my saved data.
                        My sympathies - Windows 8.1? I have the problem ever since I bought the wretched thing. Nearest thing I can come to a solution: keep a backup copy of the original program downloads on the D: drive, then you can at least reinstall them even if the reset has wiped them from C:

Comment

Working...
                        X