• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Transferring to ALAC from FLAC etc

Can anyone help?

I've been in correspondence with the guys at eClassical and BIS because I noticed that all my Hi-Res purchases from them are 24bits/48 kHz in my library, not 96 kHz.

It seems that all the Hi-Res files at eClassical are FLAC 24/96, but when I convert them, MediaHuman (my conversion tool) can only get it to 96/48.

Qobuz have ALAC downloads, so no problem with them. The problem arises when sellers don't offer ALAC.

I need a solution

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Der Beef von Oven!
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

If you use a Mac try XLD.
    Steve

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
      If you use a Mac try XLD.
      I was going to say that!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Thanks Steve and (almost) Richard.

I'll give it a try.

Comment

• remdataram
          • Mar 2011

I use, and strongly recommend Faasoft Audio converter:

Faasoft Audio Converter is an all-in-one audio downloader, editor, player and converter.

It has a one off $25 cost but is fast and reliable.; converts virtually every current format.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
            I use, and strongly recommend Faasoft Audio converter:

Faasoft Audio Converter is an all-in-one audio downloader, editor, player and converter.

It has a one off $25 cost but is fast and reliable.; converts virtually every current format.
            Trying to get out free, here!

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Trying to get out free, here!
              Download XLD for free. A tool for transcoding lossless audio files. X Lossless Decoder(XLD) is a tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various 'lossless' audio files. The supported audio files can be split into some tracks with cue sheet when decoding.
              Steve

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

I've downloaded that but doesn't seem to work. When I try to drag and drop to the icon, it just says no available window.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

thrown a couple hours at XLD but I can't get it to work

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Can anyone help?

I've been in correspondence with the guys at eClassical and BIS because I noticed that all my Hi-Res purchases from them are 24bits/48 kHz in my library, not 96 kHz.

It seems that all the Hi-Res files at eClassical are FLAC 24/96, but when I convert them, MediaHuman (my conversion tool) can only get it to 96/48.

Qobuz have ALAC downloads, so no problem with them. The problem arises when sellers don't offer ALAC.

I need a solution

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
                    Der Beef von Oven!
                    Years ago when I used XBMC to store and play downloads, I used this converter, X-Act...
                    Download the latest version of xACT for Mac for free. Read 110 user reviews and compare with similar apps on MacUpdate.

...and it always worked well....maybe try that one? Latterly though, I just use the converter that comes with JRiver Media Centre (usually to decode FLAC/ALAC to WAV). It's one of the main reasons I keep JRiver on alongside Audirvana, hard to imagine a faster or easier one - it does it all for you, anything to anything, but - you have to buy JRiver to get it, so....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Years ago when I used XBMC to store and play downloads, I used this converter, X-Act...
                      Download the latest version of xACT for Mac for free. Read 110 user reviews and compare with similar apps on MacUpdate.

...and it always worked well....maybe try that one? Latterly though, I just use the converter that comes with JRiver Media Centre (usually to decode FLAC/ALAC to WAV). It's one of the main reasons I keep JRiver on alongside Audirvana, hard to imagine a faster or easier one - it does it all for you, anything to anything, but - you have to buy JRiver to get it, so....
                      A while back I auditioned a whole heap of them, JRiver, Audirvana et al and could not perceive any audio advantage over iTunes through my set-up (MacBook Pro, FiiO or other DACs, Genelec Active speakers). But maybe I need to consider the functionality that JRiver et al offer, not just sound quality.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                        • Nov 2010

I've downloaded that but doesn't seem to work. When I try to drag and drop to the icon, it just says no available window.
                        I’m away from my Mac at the moment, but the way I use it is to double click to open it (you may then want to look at preferences after that), then File>Open to point it at the source directory, and away it goes. I’ll post more detailed instructions in the morning, but there’s no window until the program starts to process audio files.
                        Steve

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I’m away from my Mac at the moment, but the way I use it is to double click to open it (you may then want to look at preferences after that), then File>Open to point it at the source directory, and away it goes. I’ll post more detailed instructions in the morning, but there’s no window until the program starts to process audio files.
                          Thanks, I'll hang on

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

My (free) port of call on my Macbook Pro is: http://www.bigasoft.com/flac-converter-mac.html

Does the business for me. Though I hope it delivers the right bitrates etc - I've been using it so long, and it's so easy, that I've forgotten!

Afterthought: bugger! I don't think it was free, now I think about it. I needed it so much I think I forked out! Sorry to mislead...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

I've taken a look at my settings etc. in XLD, and here's what I do.

Double click on XLD to load it and select XLD>Prefences.

In the 'General' tab select 'Apple Lossless' as the output format. Then click on the options button next to the output format and select the options to keep the original sampling rate and bit depth.

Back in the options window against 'Output directory select the 'Specify' button and press the 'set' button to point at the target folder (I also have the 'Add to iTunes' option selected as I use iTunes to replay music.

Once all that's been done select File>Open and select the source directory. As soon as you you press 'open' a progress window will be shown and the files appear in the previously defined target folder.

Hope that helps
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X