• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Sibelius Software Problems

I presume like myself, there are quite a few forum members who use this software notation programme.

I thought, therefore, if you have a problem, then this be the place to sort it.

I have Sib8.5.

I also have a slight problem with mine in that the main score seems smaller than the keypad or the band at the top which has also the various things you need. I'm not too sure how to resolve this? any ideas?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Have you checked the magnification, Bbm? On that "band at the top which has also the various things you need", there's an icon of a magnifying glass (near the middle - right of "Current Version", left of "Full Score/Piano"): do you have it set to 100%? If not, try that - or increasing to a higher setting, or even "Fit to Page" (there's a "drop-down" menu for this).

Good luck!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

I use Sib. 7, and this sounds (as Ferney says) like a magnification problem. Go to View-Magnifcation.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I've used Sibelius 7 since 1995, and that version is still almost perfect. Magnification is never an issue.

(I know this isn't helping, but sometimes software becomes over complex with very little to justify it.)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Just lay off red wine and cigars, and in time all will be well, apparently ............

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I've used Sibelius 7 since 1995, and that version is still almost perfect. Magnification is never an issue.

(I know this isn't helping, but sometimes software becomes over complex with very little to justify it.)
            I think you have the "old" version 7 though
            there are considerable improvements in some of the later ones
            (but NOT "new" version 7 IMV)

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Have you checked the magnification, Bbm? On that "band at the top which has also the various things you need", there's an icon of a magnifying glass (near the middle - right of "Current Version", left of "Full Score/Piano"): do you have it set to 100%? If not, try that - or increasing to a higher setting, or even "Fit to Page" (there's a "drop-down" menu for this).

Good luck!
              Thanks Ferney and Pabs, i'll do that!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I think you have the "old" version 7 though
                there are considerable improvements in some of the later ones
                (but NOT "new" version 7 IMV)
                Indeed I have. Sibelius 7 was the first, written in Assembler, so was extremely fast and it enabled the entire program(me) to use just over 500k. This was followed by the heavily cut down Sibelius 6 for schools. Then came a middle version: Sibelius 7 Student. Each version was updated until Sibelius Software decided to go back to the drawing board and creat a
                new version, written in the slower, but more flexible C++ language. The meant that it could be transferred between Acorn, PC and Mac platforms. However, events overtook Sibelius Software, when Acorn announced that they were yelling out of the computer market to concentrate on set-top box manufacture.
                Sibelius decided to make the new software available only on PC and Mac, causing great bitterness amongst those who had bought Acorn RISC computers specifically to run Sibelius. Other companies produced RISC OS computers over the next few years, but Sibelius wouldn't budge.
                There was a significant difference between the way the two programs were operated. The Acorn version assumed the user would write a notehead on a line or space and then perhaps add a dot followed by a stem, a flag or a beam. The new version started off by the user deciding on a note length before selecting the pitch. Having spent a couple of years on the original Sibelius 7, adapting to Sibelius, Sibelius 2, Sibelius 3, etc. was quite frustrating.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed I have. Sibelius 7 was the first, written in Assembler, so was extremely fast and it enabled the entire program(me) to use just over 500k. This was followed by the heavily cut down Sibelius 6 for schools. Then came a middle version: Sibelius 7 Student. Each version was updated until Sibelius Software decided to go back to the drawing board and creat a
                  new version, written in the slower, but more flexible C++ language. The meant that it could be transferred between Acorn, PC and Mac platforms. However, events overtook Sibelius Software, when Acorn announced that they were yelling out of the computer market to concentrate on set-top box manufacture.
                  Sibelius decided to make the new software available only on PC and Mac, causing great bitterness amongst those who had bought Acorn RISC computers specifically to run Sibelius. Other companies produced RISC OS computers over the next few years, but Sibelius wouldn't budge.
                  There was a significant difference between the way the two programs were operated. The Acorn version assumed the user would write a notehead on a line or space and then perhaps add a dot followed by a stem, a flag or a beam. The new version started off by the user deciding on a note length before selecting the pitch. Having spent a couple of years on the original Sibelius 7, adapting to Sibelius, Sibelius 2, Sibelius 3, etc. was quite frustrating.
                  The "old" version also had the "feature" of PLAY being started by pressing the letter P rather than the space bar which is how just about every other piece of audio software works.
                  This was (thankfully) fixed in later versions.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    The "old" version also had the "feature" of PLAY being started by pressing the letter P rather than the space bar which is how just about every other piece of audio software works.
                    This was (thankfully) fixed in later versions.
                    Sibelius 8 has the usual ‘play’ button now.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Did you manage to sort out the problem, Bbm?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I did wonder what they were going to do after the second version of Sibelius 7, as there's no 8th symphony.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I did wonder what they were going to do after the second version of Sibelius 7, as there's no 8th symphony.
                          They did actually complete such a version, but then just burnt the blueprint.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            They did actually complete such a version, but then just burnt the blueprint.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Sibelius 8 is a mess. There are too many occasions when you have to go "underneath" its (clumsy and unattractive) surface to get at Sibelius 7 options underneath. It does offer a few improvements but the necessity to have that ugly toolbar above the score all the time is not one of them, especially for those of is who used to have the actual score filling the screen of an external monitor and everything else readily accessible on the laptop screen. I realise 8 is optimised for people who do everything on a laptop without an external screen. Heaven help us if some future version is optimised for phones. I am keeping an eye on the development of the newer Dorico software with a view to leaving Sibelius to its own devices.

I don't really understand what Bbm's problem was though, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X