Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
    Thanks for that. Whats a raspberry pi???
    A small computer...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
      I think you mean Brennan. I’ve no experience I’m afraid, the latest one seems to be based on a Rasberry Pi.
      Some people like them. However others say the audio quality is no better than average. Probably avoid if you want good quality audio. If interested, check that ripped quality is OK and you can copy out to a hard drive. The default rips may be mp3 - though the latest versions may do better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Some people like them. However others say the audio quality is no better than average. Probably avoid if you want good quality audio. If interested, check that ripped quality is OK and you can copy out to a hard drive. The default rips may be mp3 - though the latest versions may do better than that.
        The latest rip to ALAC, FLAC etc as well as MP3.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Moreover, ripped with a proper bit of software, hooked up to a decent DAC and the sound will be a significant improvement on anything your old CD player used to churn out.
          That is technically impossible
          It might sound "the same"
          BUT it all depends on what your "old CD" player was

I'm always amazed at the amounts Hi-Fi "buffs" pay for a DAC when you can buy a RME interface which is likely to be what was used for the actual recording for less.

Comment

Moreover, ripped with a proper bit of software, hooked up to a decent DAC and the sound will be a significant improvement on anything your old CD player used to churn out.
            Depends on what the “old” CD player uses for a DAC. Some CD players sound very good, though of course if you define “decent DAC” to be somewhere near the top of the range then that may present a hard challenge for a CD player.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
              The latest rip to ALAC, FLAC etc as well as MP3.
              Indeed they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                if you define “decent DAC” to be somewhere near the top of the range then that may present a hard challenge for a CD player.
                I do. It does.

Comment

I do. It does.
                  Fair enough. I reverted largely to using my CD player as I don't find the software approach always so convenient - though I agree that when it works finding pieces is very convenient. I also found that the quality, at least as I perceive it, is really not so different from using external DACs, though I do believe that some other CD players would sound less good, and some would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                    Does anyone know if those all in one systems that can store and play your Cds are any good? Cant remember the name. Seen mixed erviews.
                    If you are thinking about that awful Brennan system then forget it. Don't even go there. Even if you can accept the audio quality, their filing and retrieval system, as far as classical music, is concerned makes even iTunes look elegant and 'Fit for Purpose'. The Brennan ...it is not.
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys, even if it drifted off topic!

Comment

I don't know about the longevity of Apple Macs. Mine is only about 4 years old.

But my 1995 Acorn RISC PC is still going strong, running a more stable version of Sibelius software than any that have appeared on other platforms.

Comment

Working...
                        X