X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Compressing PDF files in Mac OSX

I wonder if others have discovered any good/quick ways to compress PDF files using Mac OSX (aka macos).

I con do it using:

1. Scan any documents in using Preview - I use a high enough resolution to get a good quality image.
    2. Use Preview to get the PDF into shape (sometimes combining more than one PDF into a single document by using the Thumbnails.

If the PDF file is large and thus not so suitable for sending via email, I can then shrink it by importing it into a photo tool, such as Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer, then re-exporting as a PDF (using a lower DPI) - or perhaps a JPEG file.

I just wonder if there's anyway to do the latter phases in Preview directly, or in some other inbuilt macos feature. Maybe use the Print to PDF feature? I think this only allows changing the page sizes though - I really want the pages to stay the same size, but the resolution to be reduced - and changing the DPI in the photo tools seems to do the trick.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I don't use Preview to scan so would use Canon scanning tools then import into Photoshop or something else

though it does have some good features for dealing with Pdfs

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

How small do you want to get the file? Using the way they suggest with Preview, I can reduce a 60 page pdf from 2.4MB to 1.7MB, but I can't see how helpful that is.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        How small do you want to get the file? Using the way they suggest with Preview, I can reduce a 60 page pdf from 2.4MB to 1.7MB, but I can't see how helpful that is.
        Today I had a 6.8 Mbyte file which I wanted to reduce. I think I got it down to under 700 kbytes with a bit of effort. As I recall, if I'd loaded it into Word I might have been able to compress it (I'll have to check that again), but I didn't really want to do that, so I used photo editing tools instead. "Obviously" (well fairly so) I wouldn't have wanted to compress to the point at which quality would suffer a lot, but since I was merely trying to indicate suitable edits to someone who presumably had a high quality original at his end, this approach should have been working quite well. I used the Annotate feature of Preview first to indicate the sections to change - and then used text descriptions in the accompanying email.

What is the "way they suggest with Preview"?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          What is the "way they suggest with Preview"?
          Couldn't replicate it. In fact the original went up from 2.4MB to 2.7MB. Did I do something wrong

They say: Open the file in Preview, go to File in the menu bar > Export and in Quartz Filter, from drop-down menu, select Reduce File Size (change name to keep original intact), Save
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X