X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Browsing the web - more securely

DuckDuckgo claims that it has a better approach to web browsing and searching - though how justified those claims are I don't know.

I have tried to use it to minimise tracking, but sometimes I'm convinced it's just too slow compared with Bing and Google, and web pages take too long to load, with lots of dropouts.

Have others noticed this?
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    DuckDuckgo claims that it has a better approach to web browsing and searching - though how justified those claims are I don't know.

I have tried to use it to minimise tracking, but sometimes I'm convinced it's just too slow compared with Bing and Google, and web pages take too long to load, with lots of dropouts.

Have others noticed this?
    If I recall correctly it was recommended hereabouts some moons ago because, among other things, the advertising content was much less.
    Initially yes, but now I find it as bad as the Google Advertising Agency.
    Does anyone know of an engine that doesn’t lead me straight up the Amazon .... ?????

Comment

• Beresford
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      If I recall correctly it was recommended hereabouts some moons ago because, among other things, the advertising content was much less.
      Initially yes, but now I find it as bad as the Google Advertising Agency.
      Does anyone know of an engine that doesn’t lead me straight up the Amazon .... ?????
      Have you tried the Ghostery browser extension?

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Following a recent Safari upgrade/update, I now get a Privacy Report on my start page, informing me how many trackers have been prevented from profiling me in the last seven days (more and longer-time information available if you click on the report link).
        I assume that this is a good thing.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Following a recent Safari upgrade/update, I now get a Privacy Report on my start page, informing me how many trackers have been prevented from profiling me in the last seven days (more and longer-time information available if you click on the report link).
          I assume that this is a good thing.
          I never worried about trackers before but now, having also done this Safari update, they're suddenly 'on my radar' and a cause of concern. Sometimes one can be too well-informed!

I'm more annoyed about losing 'Top Sites' in this latest Safari.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            I never worried about trackers before but now, having also done this Safari update, they're suddenly 'on my radar' and a cause of concern. Sometimes one can be too well-informed!

I'm more annoyed about losing 'Top Sites' in this latest Safari.
            I wonder if they're targeting York.

My wireless front door bell has just conked out (not the battery, which I've replaced), so if anyone wants to track me down at present, they've got to hammer on the door instead.

Comment

• hmvman
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              My wireless front door bell has just conked out (not the battery, which I've replaced), so if anyone wants to track me down at present, they've got to hammer on the door instead.
              We've had 3 wireless doorbells and all have failed for one reason or another. So we now rely on our old, faithful wired bell which needs replacement batteries ('D' cells!) every few years.

Delivery drivers hammer on the door anyway, even having rung the bell...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                So we now rely on our old, faithful wired bell which needs replacement batteries ('D' cells!) every few years.
                I collected all the bits and pieces to set up a proper handsome brass bell hanging from a bracket and connected via piano wire threaded through small swivelling brackets to the brass bell pull on the outside. Fine as long as people don't try pushing it rather than pulling (which they inevitably do). The old battery bell kept going wrong.

As for security: I've just had a phone call on my mobile from HMRC saying that I had a tax fraud case registered against my name and please key in 1 to connect to HMRC. If I did not press 1 someone would be calling and I would be arrested immediately.

It's only since lockdown that my mobile number has been circulated at all, since I got the phone for MY use, not other people's. I use it for outgoing calls when travelling and for online transactions like internet searches; and now when people want to sent verification codes or text messages. So it has recently been divulged more widely. I'm now irresistibly curious as to what conversation would have ensued had I pressed 1.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  So it has recently been divulged more widely. I'm now irresistibly curious as to what conversation would have ensued had I pressed 1.
                  Possibly, thougn we think some of these scammers just take a punt and dial possible numbers at random. After all, they have very little intention of paying for anything, so they're probably happy enough to blast away at a whole block of numbers to see if anyone responds.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Possibly, thougn we think some of these scammers just take a punt and dial possible numbers at random. After all, they have very little intention of paying for anything, so they're probably happy enough to blast away at a whole block of numbers to see if anyone responds.
                    Yes, although I have had three or four such calls recently, and never had any when I just gave out my landline number and didn't text, or register the mobile number anywhere. I'm just really worried in case the HMRC call and arrest me immediately It's those damn FinCEN files, I suppose

Phew! https://who-called.co.uk/Area-Code/01204
                    Last edited by french frank; 23-09-20, 16:59.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anastasius
                      • Mar 2015

I collected all the bits and pieces to set up a proper handsome brass bell hanging from a bracket and connected via piano wire threaded through small swivelling brackets to the brass bell pull on the outside. Fine as long as people don't try pushing it rather than pulling (which they inevitably do). The old battery bell kept going wrong.

As for security: I've just had a phone call on my mobile from HMRC saying that I had a tax fraud case registered against my name and please key in 1 to connect to HMRC. If I did not press 1 someone would be calling and I would be arrested immediately.

It's only since lockdown that my mobile number has been circulated at all, since I got the phone for MY use, not other people's. I use it for outgoing calls when travelling and for online transactions like internet searches; and now when people want to sent verification codes or text messages. So it has recently been divulged more widely. I'm now irresistibly curious as to what conversation would have ensued had I pressed 1.
                      You would have automatically been connected to an 09xx number and racked up a huge bill. We get calls allegedly from BT saying our landline and internet are about to be disconnected.
                      Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                        You would have automatically been connected to an 09xx number and racked up a huge bill. We get calls allegedly from BT saying our landline and internet are about to be disconnected.
                        Fortunately, I don't disclose anything about my off-shore assets and overseas bank accounts to anyone - least of all HMRC (and incidentally they have suggested that I had both - I told them I hadn't got either and they went away), so I wouldn't have pressed 1.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Fortunately, I don't disclose anything about my off-shore assets and overseas bank accounts to anyone - least of all HMRC (and incidentally they have suggested that I had both - I told them I hadn't got either and they went away), so I wouldn't have pressed 1.
                          Another common scam is a single ring from an 0843 number. Whatever you do, don't respond other than to delete the call reference. Do not even consider calling back.

Comment

Working...
                          X