X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Apple Catalina - virtual instruments compatiblity

One additional annoyance in Catalina is the verification/validation of virtual instruments for use with DAWs such as Logic.

It is possible to get round this sometimes, though I'm not sure if there's a permanent "solution" which doesn't require action on the part of software developers.

If there are AUs or VSTs or other virtual instruments which have been installed in appropriate folders in MacOS Catalina and which Apple "doesn't like", they will not load up. They may, however, appear in a list as "[Incompatible]". If these are selected anyway, Logic will offer you an option to either Cancel or Bin. Bin will, I assume, delete the file. If however, Cancel is chosen, another popup may appear - informing you that since Apple hasn't been able to check for malware, or vet the developer, it's not going to open the file. There is a suggestion to contact the developer, to see if new versions can be made available.

If now System Preferences is opened - under Privacy, a warning may appear there, with the option to "Open anyway" - and then Logic will list the selected instrument - assuming the program doesn't crash.

Most of the virtual instruments from Bigcat Instruments seem to fall into this category, and normally one might contact the distributor or developer to make further progresss, but it seems that in the case of these instruments the developer has been very ill (I do hope he's better now ...) and clearly unable to attend to this relatively trivial kind of issue.

I did download (and pay for) a Roland synthesizer (not from Bigcat) a few days ago, which doesn't seem to load up - so I'll need to follow up on that one. However, it didn't cost much, and there was a warning that it might not work with Catalina. I might be able to get it working on one of my other machines.

I'm not sure whether Apple really is protecting us all from malware by this kind of action, or if it's simply running its own form of mafia style protection racket - "pay us to validate your software" behind the scenes. If there is a well known validation program for developers, perhaps even low cost, then maybe that would be helpful to everyone, but if this "protection" really is just a racket, then shame on Apple. Apple should come clean on what they expect from developers in order to maintain software compatibility.

If there were a low charge to satisfy Apple, and get some of this software approved, user groups might in some circumstances be willing to help developers out. Some developers really are running on very low budgets, and perhaps won't have included this factor in their release strategy, particularly for software which has been out and running for a few years already.
Working...
X