Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac self-starting up

By that I don't mean waking up from sleep but actually powering itself back up when I've done a shutdown and it's powered down. Midnight usually...no idea why. Bizarre.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
    By that I don't mean waking up from sleep but actually powering itself back up when I've done a shutdown and it's powered down. Midnight usually...no idea why. Bizarre.
    I've been surprised a few times when I've been starting it up in the morning to find it instantly goes to the desktop without the usual boot-up and log in. I just assumed I hadn't shut it down properly the night before even though I'd gone throught the usual "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" routine.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

phoning home ? - some machines allow you to set a time to 'wake up' for updates etc - midnight sounds as tho it maybe a default time if this facility is enabled on your machine - check your bios settings for 'wake-on's some are set to wake on special LAN messages

Comment

My printer will suddenly start whirring and making noises (but not printing) at random times in the early hours. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
          My printer will suddenly start whirring and making noises (but not printing) at random times in the early hours. Weird.
          Mine did the same this evening as I was in my study on a Zoom call (choir committee).
          I think that they start up periodically to clean the jets, but whether there is a schedule you can find and adjust/set I don't know.

Weirder for me is that my Roberts internet radio, also in my study, has a mind of its own.
          I sometimes find it playing away merrily to itself when I go in in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
            Good plot idea for a horror movie though!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Mine did the same this evening as I was in my study on a Zoom call (choir committee).
              I think that they start up periodically to clean the jets, but whether there is a schedule you can find and adjust/set I don't know.

Weirder for me is that my Roberts internet radio, also in my study, has a mind of its own.
              I sometimes find it playing away merrily to itself when I go in in the morning.
              My secondhand Samsung flatscreen TV always emits 20 second blasts of whatever channel it's tuned to, at around an hour after the set has been switched off. No picture, just sound. It can be embarrassing - if I'm expecting callers I have to tune to a blank channel. I've checked the settings for some way of switching it off, but no control seems to exist. Another problem with it has been the remote suddenly not working unless new batteries are inserted, and then just for one go: changing channels involves clicking the penultimate bottom side button until the channel I want comes up; as for changing the settings by this means... the less said the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Good plot idea for a horror movie though!
                My feeling exactly when it wakes me up...

Comment

Working...
                X