Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban automatic updates, I say.

Really think that the option to opt-out of enforced updates needs to be high on the agenda. Although I had deliberately set the update level on my Fritz!Box router to 'Notify me when an update is available', what they don't tell you is that if your router is set to a named ISP (mine was but not by me) then that overrides the 'update level'. So imagine my surprise to wake up to be told that my router had been updated by my ISP.

Any router updates by the ISP are scheduled for during the night when most people are asleep. The router update by itself is annoying but not disastrous (usually....Fritz! engineering has been impeccable so far). What is disastrous is when another device on the network - in this case, our Humax YouView PVR - is also trying to update at the same time. The result is a brick

YouView have removed the option to disable automatic updates....

I asked on their community forum for the IP address of their update server so that I could block it in my router. The post got deleted. Don't you just love 'Nanny Knows Best'. Bit pointless of them since I simply get out the packet-sniffer ...bit more work, I know.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

So is your Humax recoverable?

I see you're not suggesting banning updates, but simply automatic ones - which as you note may happen at times which you don't know or have any control over, and may give rise to update conflicts and possible disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
      ...Bit pointless of them since I simply get out the packet-sniffer ...bit more work, I know.
      When you do publish the IP address, though usually baked in IPs include several alternatives - however if one IP address is blocked a small sequence of block one and use wireshark to find the next will eventually block all - however my guess is that they will go thro DNS which may be easier to block though Google got clever and forces its own DNS servers to be used thus avoiding simple PiHole devices. But my own feeling is that unless the law is changed you cannot beat the monopolistic ISPs in unholy conjunction with the monopoly content providers.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        But my own feeling is that unless the law is changed you cannot beat the monopolistic ISPs in unholy conjunction with the monopoly content providers.
        I'm surprised that you mention "the law". There are laws which may affect many of us in different countries, but a lot of this technology stuff is enabling "big Brother" organisations - including governments but also criminals - to continually spy on us and monitor our activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          So is your Humax recoverable?

I'm not optimistic. I do have another one. But not the recordings.

Comment

Have you tried contacting Humax?

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
              I'm not optimistic. I do have another one. But not the recordings.
              Is yours like the one BT used to provide with their broadband and TV? We have one like that. Not sure I can usefully help you - but I could investigate.

Comment

Thanks for your kind offers, chaps. I gave it a stern talking to and it's stopped sulking.

OK...I power-cycled it

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  When you do publish the IP address, though usually baked in IPs include several alternatives - however if one IP address is blocked a small sequence of block one and use wireshark to find the next will eventually block all - however my guess is that they will go thro DNS which may be easier to block though Google got clever and forces its own DNS servers to be used thus avoiding simple PiHole devices. But my own feeling is that unless the law is changed you cannot beat the monopolistic ISPs in unholy conjunction with the monopoly content providers.
                  I did a quick sniff with Wireshark and tried to initiate a phone-home call to see what IP address was used but that failed. I need to leave it monitoring overnight.

Comment

Have you tried posting on the hummy.tv forum whether they have discovered a way round this?

humax product discussions

Many of the folk there are of a seriously techie bent.

(They were responsible for the truly wonderful customised firmware that I use on my old Humax HDR-Fox-T2, which does include a system to block automatic updates, as well as a whole raft of other stuff.)

Comment

Working...
                    X