Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predictive Texting That Doesn’t Predict

Can anyone please explain this to me please. I have an iPhone and when I type in capital R predictive is straight there with Roy my christian name but I can type in Telf, which I do a lot, and my surname - Telfer - never ever appears .... although stupid usernames I have used and abandoned like say telferrc appear ....... WHY .... ????

I've had similar thoughts about parts of my address (street name and estate).
    They don't get underlined as suspect words, but don't appear as options as I start typing them.
    I wondered about experimenting and trying to put them into my dictionary, but isn't that only what you'd do for words that DO get underlined as suspect?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      I've had similar thoughts about parts of my address (street name and estate).
      They don't get underlined as suspect words, but don't appear as options as I start typing them.
      I wondered about experimenting and trying to put them into my dictionary, but isn't that only what you'd do for words that DO get underlined as suspect?
      I presume, perhaps wrongly, that iPhone/Apple constructs its own dictionary for each user .... per telferrc and other weird nicknames I tend to use e.g. the, seemingly patronising, Alkers......

Comment

I really hate it. You have to be on your guard constantly for all the unwanted corrections. I would rather not have it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I really hate it. You have to be on your guard constantly for all the unwanted corrections. I would rather not have it at all.
          You certainly do have to be on your guard! I've had one or two naughty words appear (which I never use on the phone) and one of them, especially, could have caused a whole lot of embarrassment had it not been spotted.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Is it yet another thing that can't be turned off?

Comment

There are any number of spell checkers which "correct" the spelling of my name. It's enough to make me throw up!

Sometimes I have to go through documents and "uncorrect" all the changes.

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

The version I saw said "His funfair is next Monkey"...

I turn off predictive text whenever I can - hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post

I turn off predictive text whenever I can - hate it.
                    The early version, before texting, wasn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      The early version, before texting, wasn't too bad.

https://twitter.com/archivetvmus71/s...36827788136449

Very good - takes me back to my teenage years...

Comment

Working...
                      X