• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

R3 sound versus tv sound

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Having tonight watched and listened to the whole Prom on BBC4 I have to contradict most of what I wrote above after listening to this Prom via poorer quality sound from R3. [...]
    This is from the Prokoviev (N Benedetti) NYO Prom 10 thread.

I listened to this Prom live via the Radio Three feed on my (smart) television from Freeview, the signal coming via an external aerial.

(This was because my hifi equipment is currently unavailable.)

Tonight I watched the same Prom on BBC4, also via Freeview on the same set.

The tv sound seems to me to have been very much clearer than the R3 sound - sharper, more detail, wider frequency.

I assume that the feed from the hall comes from the same set of mikes for both radio and tv, and that this feed is then processed/managed by two different audio teams.

What is the explanation for the different quality? I'm hearing it through the same (tv) speakers etc on both occasions.

(Apologies if this is an old chestnut and I have not picked up the answer before.)
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    This is from the Prokoviev (N Benedetti) NYO Prom 10 thread.

I listened to this Prom live via the Radio Three feed on my (smart) television from Freeview, the signal coming via an external aerial.

(This was because my hifi equipment is currently unavailable.)

Tonight I watched the same Prom on BBC4, also via Freeview on the same set.

The tv sound seems to me to have been very much clearer than the R3 sound - sharper, more detail, wider frequency.

I assume that the feed from the hall comes from the same set of mikes for both radio and tv, and that this feed is then processed/managed by two different audio teams.

What is the explanation for the different quality? I'm hearing it through the same (tv) speakers etc on both occasions.

(Apologies if this is an old chestnut and I have not picked up the answer before.)
    In fact the tv mix is different from the radio mix and uses a different mic array

This is more technical but really interesting.

Broadcasting every single Promenade Concert is a huge challenge for the BBC’s sound teams — especially as radio and TV have completely different requirements!

The difference in quality might just Have been a problem on transmission on freeview radio 3 . I listened on Fm R3 ( which would have had the same mic array and gone thru the same audio desk for balancing ) and it sounded fine.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      In fact the tv mix is different from the radio mix and uses a different mic array

This is more technical but really interesting.

Broadcasting every single Promenade Concert is a huge challenge for the BBC’s sound teams — especially as radio and TV have completely different requirements!

The difference in quality might just Have been a problem on transmission on freeview radio 3 . I listened on Fm R3 ( which would have had the same mic array and gone thru the same audio desk for balancing ) and it sounded fine.
      I am a bit out of touch regarding the relative data rates used for Radio 3 and BBC FOUR via both standard and HD (standard uses the mp2 CODEC for both Radio 3 and BBC FOUR but possibly at different data rates. HD uses the AAC CODEC. Best to listen via Radio 3 HD Sound via the Internet, either 'live' or on-demand.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I am a bit out of touch regarding the relative data rates used for Radio 3 and BBC FOUR via both standard and HD (standard uses the mp2 CODEC for both Radio 3 and BBC FOUR but possibly at different data rates. HD uses the AAC CODEC. Best to listen via Radio 3 HD Sound via the Internet, either 'live' or on-demand.
        Is there still an HD sound - or is that a rebranding of the 320kbps? The flac lossless stream was discontinued wasn’t it ? (Too expensive I was told )

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Is there still an HD sound - or is that a rebranding of the 320kbps? The flac lossless stream was discontinued wasn’t it ? (Too expensive I was told )
          "HD Sound" is the BBC's chosen name for the 320kbps AAC-LC stream. Their name from the FLAC experiment was "Concert Sound".

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            "HD Sound" is the BBC's chosen name for the 320kbps AAC-LC stream. Their name from the FLAC experiment was "Concert Sound".
            That’s priceless!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

That’s priceless!
              They were challenged over "HD Sound" and responded that it was valid because they were not claiming it to be "Hi-Res Audio".

Comment

Working...
              X