Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor screen about to expire

It appears that the Packard Bell monitor screen to my desktop, which has given me 12 years of faithful service, is probably about to depart this virtual life for computer heaven. One worry is that any new replacement may not be fitted with terminals suitable for my existing connection leads - which gives you an idea how long it has been since I have needed anything to do with computers beyond periodic inkjet purchases for the printer. Having the same kinds of ports for connecting to mains or computers etc my flatscreen TV might serve as a temporary stand-in: I haven't tested it yet while this screen still has some life in it which I don't wish to jeopardise by switching off to find it again won't give me a picture, probably permanently. Failing this I might have to wait until I can find a new monitor that is compatible, assuming they are still available, or investigating the local charity shops in the hope of finding a working second-hand one.

The point of this post is to advise that I may have to be off the forum for a while.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    The point of this post is to advise that I may have to be off the forum for a while.
    In which case - vital you solve the problem quickly, S_A, or we won't be able to wish you a happy Christmas
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      In which case - vital you solve the problem quickly, S_A, or we won't be able to wish you a happy Christmas

Comment

Might be worth contacting a local repairman/shop who may well have something lurking in the back that they would willingly get rid of, or find something they could cobble together to see you through while you work out what sort of replacement you need/can afford.
        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Might be worth contacting a local repairman/shop who may well have something lurking in the back that they would willingly get rid of, or find something they could cobble together to see you through while you work out what sort of replacement you need/can afford.
          Good luck.
          Thanks for that suggestion, Pulcinella. There used to be a very good repair shop a couple of miles away from me - might check tomorrow and see if he's still in business.

Comment

It might be worthwhile to give a brief outline of what computer system you are using as otherwise it is difficult to give specific advice
            I'm guessing that your monitor is VGA and that your non-laptop computer is VGA output only whereas modern monitors are generally HDMI at the consumer end or possibly HDMI/DVI at the home/office end - a VGA only computer is almost certainly well over a decade old and itself will be likely to fail in near future - such machines are unlikely to support SATA hard drives thus you cannot use the readily available SSD drives.
            I'm also guessing you are locked into an old O/S - here the options vary significantly between Microsoft and Apple - the former is somewhat easier as XP vintage software works well under WINE on a Linux system which will itself work well on those PCs/Laptops that won't run Windows 11 and are thus now relatively cheap 2nd hand. As for Apple the old systems I have stashed away have Display port outputs for which there are readily available adapters to drive DVI/HDMI monitors - it sounds as tho you will need to buy a new monitor at the least unless you can transfer your software to a laptop.

Comment

Adaptors for connection leads are available. Mrs G has a new computer with only USB-C and HDMI connections. I have managed to source an HDMI - VGA adapter so she can continue to use an old monitor screen with VGA lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                It might be worthwhile to give a brief outline of what computer system you are using as otherwise it is difficult to give specific advice
                I'm guessing that your monitor is VGA and that your non-laptop computer is VGA output only whereas modern monitors are generally HDMI at the consumer end or possibly HDMI/DVI at the home/office end - a VGA only computer is almost certainly well over a decade old and itself will be likely to fail in near future - such machines are unlikely to support SATA hard drives thus you cannot use the readily available SSD drives.
                I'm also guessing you are locked into an old O/S - here the options vary significantly between Microsoft and Apple - the former is somewhat easier as XP vintage software works well under WINE on a Linux system which will itself work well on those PCs/Laptops that won't run Windows 11 and are thus now relatively cheap 2nd hand. As for Apple the old systems I have stashed away have Display port outputs for which there are readily available adapters to drive DVI/HDMI monitors - it sounds as tho you will need to buy a new monitor at the least unless you can transfer your software to a laptop.
                All way beyond me, a non-techie autodidact found wanting I'm afraid Frances - much appreciated though, thanks!

Comment

I was facing similar problems last year with a 15 year old monitor that started playing up and then just expired. A local computer place had a secondhand monitor that seemed about right, but the connections weren't the right sort although they looked similar(and the laddie seemed flummoxed by that), and a different one didn't want to talk to my PC. I wasn't convinced that the necessary expertise was there so went for Plan B which was son sourcing and shipping a replacement(HPZR22w) which he knew would suit as he had provided the (secondhand)PC a couple of years before. All 3 were older than I would have expected- the one I have now was made 12 years ago according to the manufacturer's info label on the bottom. It's possible that they sit around for a while after manufacture and so that date isn't a reflection of how much use it's had. This one is a very different size and shape and that took some getting used to(re-arranging the desk space), and it doesn't have a camera so I can still continue being anonymous for Zoom calls, but so far it has been OK.
                  All of which suggests it should be possible for you to find a suitable replacement - with or without suitable adjustments as per OG's ost. Good Luck.

Comment

The good news is that screens tend to be very reliable and last a long time and older screens are very cheap, you really shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement. Your local 2nd hand phone/ computer shop should be able to help although Ebay will be even cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                      The good news is that screens tend to be very reliable and last a long time and older screens are very cheap, you really shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement. Your local 2nd hand phone/ computer shop should be able to help although Ebay will be even cheaper.
                      Luckily I was able to obtain a brand new one (24" - the old one was only 14 I think!) at a shop recommended by the gardener I shall be using in the future - delivered in 2 days, pretty good under all the present circs. Thanks very much to all for your concerns.

Comment

Luckily I was able to obtain a brand new one (24" - the old one was only 14 I think!) at a shop recommended by the gardener I shall be using in the future - delivered in 2 days, pretty good under all the present circs. Thanks very much to all for your concerns.

So you ARE able to see messages from people wishing you a happy Christmas after all!
                        A good result.

Comment

Excellent news S_A …. and A Very Merry Christmas to you and everyone hereabouts

Comment

Just watch one thing - and I hope it doesn't hit you ... Sometimes if you are using a Windows PC, changing a device such as a monitor can cause Windows to think you have a different version, and it trashes the licence - so you can't get a machine started. I once did that, and when I reconnected the original monitor back Windows would not let me back in.

Obviously you won't know that is going to happen beforehand - and sadly I have no idea what to do it if does - but others may have advice about that.

I will certainly wish you (all) a Merry Christmas - and a Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Just watch one thing - and I hope it doesn't hit you ... Sometimes if you are using a Windows PC, changing a device such as a monitor can cause Windows to think you have a different version, and it trashes the licence - so you can't get a machine started. I once did that, and when I reconnected the original monitor back Windows would not let me back in.

Obviously you won't know that is going to happen beforehand - and sadly I have no idea what to do it if does - but others may have advice about that.

I will certainly wish you (all) a Merry Christmas - and a Happy New Year.
                              So far so good, Dave. [fingers crossed emoji]

Comment

Working...
                              X