3.5 mm heaphone socket blocked? USB solution.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 mm heaphone socket blocked? USB solution.

Some months ago a 3. mm headphone plug snapped off inside the headphone socket on my most frequently used laptop. I have been unable to retrieve the broken tip from the socket and have thus been relying on a little Cambridge Audio DAC Magic XS USB pocket DAC to deliver audio to my headphones. However, a week ago I purchased a used (though like new) Lenovo tablet which has no 3.5 mm jack and was advised to get little 3;5 mm jack to USC C adaptor (arond a fiver from Amazon). I have since discovered that the adaptor works just as well on older computers lacking a USC C socjet, so long as one used a USC C to USB A adaptor between the computer's USB A socket and the USC C to 3l5mm jack converter (I have been unable to find a direct 3;5 mm to USB A adaptor). The little USB C to l mm jack adaptors have a DAC chip inside which handles up to 96/24 audio.That DAC ship is not up to the spec. of the DAC Magic XS, which can handle up to 192/24 audio, but at £3.99 I an not about to moan about that since it's quite good enough for use out and about. At home, I canuse the DAC Magic XS.

The main point is, if your 3.5 mm headphone socket fails, do not despair. A solution is available as long as you have free a USB socket. The adaptors even work via a USB hub, This is the little adaptor I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AXFEE-Headp...s%2C154&sr=1-2 . I doubt the DAC chips in those costing a few pounds more on Amazon are any better. It's probably the bog standard chip. They all claim to only go up to 96/24.
    Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-23, 19:56. Reason: Linke, etc. added

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Some months ago a 3. mm headphone plug snapped off inside the headphone socket on my most frequently used laptop. I have been unable to retrieve the broken tip from the socket
    There are small 'grab' tools available that look like the thin grasping end of the old fairground attraction of pick a prize - they would be small enough and the grab, controlled by a push button at end of the rod, sufficiently flexible to enter + grab the end - otherwise can't you get at the main board ? often by removing the keyboard gives access.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      There are small 'grab' tools available that look like the thin grasping end of the old fairground attraction of pick a prize - they would be small enough and the grab, controlled by a push button at end of the rod, sufficiently flexible to enter + grab the end - otherwise can't you get at the main board ? often by removing the keyboard gives access.
      I have tried disassembly but without much luck and it would cost rather more to replace the 3.5 mm socket than using the USC C adaptor does.

Comment

The 3.5mm headphone socket on my (old style) laptop stopped working. This (https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards...rs/icusbaudiob) works a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          The 3.5mm headphone socket on my (old style) laptop stopped working. This (https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards...rs/icusbaudiob) works a treat.

A wee bit more pricey than the £3.99 that I paid for the USD C to 3.5 mm adaptor, however. Also, the spec. for its chip states "48K / 44.1KHz Sampling Rate for Both Playback and Recording" so no 96 kHz sample rate option. Oh, and the USB C to USC A adaptor for use if needed, cost an extra £2.
          Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-23, 21:04. Reason: Update

Comment

A wee bit more pricey than the £3.99 that I paid for the USD C to 3.5 mm adaptor, however. Also, the spec. for its chip states "48K / 44.1KHz Sampling Rate for Both Playback and Recording" so no 96 kHz sample rate option. Oh, and the USB C to USC A adaptor for use if needed, cost an extra £2.
            Fair enough. I initially had a cheap one too, but it failed after a few months.

Comment

Some months ago a 3. mm headphone plug snapped off inside the headphone socket on my most frequently used laptop. I have been unable to retrieve the broken tip from the socket and have thus been relying on a little Cambridge Audio DAC Magic XS USB pocket DAC to deliver audio to my headphones. However, a week ago I purchased a used (though like new) Lenovo tablet which has no 3.5 mm jack and was advised to get little 3;5 mm jack to USC C adaptor (arond a fiver from Amazon). I have since discovered that the adaptor works just as well on older computers lacking a USC C socjet, so long as one used a USC C to USB A adaptor between the computer's USB A socket and the USC C to 3l5mm jack converter (I have been unable to find a direct 3;5 mm to USB A adaptor). The little USB C to l mm jack adaptors have a DAC chip inside which handles up to 96/24 audio.That DAC ship is not up to the spec. of the DAC Magic XS, which can handle up to 192/24 audio, but at £3.99 I an not about to moan about that since it's quite good enough for use out and about. At home, I canuse the DAC Magic XS.

The main point is, if your 3.5 mm headphone socket fails, do not despair. A solution is available as long as you have free a USB socket. The adaptors even work via a USB hub, This is the little adaptor I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AXFEE-Headp...s%2C154&sr=1-2 . I doubt the DAC chips in those costing a few pounds more on Amazon are any better. It's probably the bog standard chip. They all claim to only go up to 96/24.
              Thanks Bryn. I have been stressing over upgrading my phone as the latest incarnations no longer support the 3.5mm jacks, and I certainly don't intend going to the expense of new cans. This appears to be the ideal solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                Thanks Bryn. I have been stressing over upgrading my phone as the latest incarnations no longer support the 3.5mm jacks, and I certainly don't intend going to the expense of new cans. This appears to be the ideal solution.
                Just a quick note to warn that the ultra-cheap adaptors to be found in Poundland (ViDO brand) should be avoided. At £2, I thought I would try them but the chip appears to not be up to standard. Playback gets broken up and stutters. Switching back to the £3.99 adaptor I got from Amazon showed that it was, indeed, the ViDO adaptor which was the source of the problem. Playback was now as smooth as one could desire.

Comment

Working...
                X