Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Apple Music Classical”

Qobuz is about to have a new rival, with Apple’s new classical-focused streaming service due to launch at the end of the month:

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Qobuz is about to have a new rival, with Apple’s new classical-focused streaming service due to launch at the end of the month:

https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/break...cal-streaming/
    If it is restricted to "classical", it will not tempt me. I also use QOBUZ for other genres, occasionally. Quite a lot of ZAPPA in Hi-Res on QOBUZ. I might give the Apple service a trial run, though. Does it offer offline listening, I wonder?

Comment

https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/break...cal-streaming/
      Well, that is probably the most useless trailer since that one I saw falling apart in front of me on the M4 one bank holiday a few years ago.

Anyway, I am an Apple Music subscriber ( do I have to make excuses, probably yes) and wonde how this will be better than the standard platform.
      More algorithmic curation and” you might also like this” Essential Classics style stuff, but it will be the same content. Hopefully search specifically by composer/ conductor/ soloist/ whatever, but I won’t hold my breath.
      Apple Music is very slick if you are in the walled garden, and standard price. And the choice of music , if not quite at Spotty levels, is very deep.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        If it is restricted to "classical", it will not tempt me. I also use QOBUZ for other genres, occasionally. Quite a lot of ZAPPA in Hi-Res on QOBUZ. I might give the Apple service a trial run, though. Does it offer offline listening, I wonder?
        Apple Music does allow offline listening.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          If it is restricted to "classical", it will not tempt me. I also use QOBUZ for other genres, occasionally.
          Me too, Bryn

Comment

Me too, Bryn
            You may as well trial the main Apple Music service. It has a superb range of music available, almost as good as Spotty IMO.
            I have to say I am a happy customer, and I do like to investigate musical nooks and crannys ( crannies ?) on my streaming service.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              You may as well trial the main Apple Music service. It has a superb range of music available, almost as good as Spotty IMO.
              I have to say I am a happy customer, and I do like to investigate musical nooks and crannys ( crannies ?) on my streaming service.
              I ended my subscription in favour of Qobuz, when iPods became obsolete. I’d used it for 15-odd years before that. Not currently inclined to add it again but will see what the new streaming service looks like once up and running… Free trial period, perhaps?

Comment

I ended my subscription in favour of Qobuz, when iPods became obsolete. I’d used it for 15-odd years before that. Not currently inclined to add it again but will see what the new streaming service looks like once up and running… Free trial period, perhaps?
                Is sound quality the determining factor for in choosing Q over AM ?

Comment

Is sound quality the determining factor for in choosing Q over AM ?
                  The user interface too - the general experience. (I only use the iOS apps, not the PC versions)

Comment

Well, that is probably the most useless trailer since that one I saw falling apart in front of me on the M4 one bank holiday a few years ago.

Anyway, I am an Apple Music subscriber ( do I have to make excuses, probably yes) and wonde how this will be better than the standard platform.
                    More algorithmic curation and” you might also like this” Essential Classics style stuff, but it will be the same content. Hopefully search specifically by composer/ conductor/ soloist/ whatever, but I won’t hold my breath.
                    Apple Music is very slick if you are in the walled garden, and standard price. And the choice of music , if not quite at Spotty levels, is very deep.
                    I also use Apple Music. Hopefully they won’t have an additional fee, but I can see it coming…

Comment

I preordered tha App. The service starts March 28

Comment

Hmmm…had a look at this tonight. It is as you might expect , very slick.
                        Impressed at first glance. In fact a young colleague who is really into his music, and always keen to learn and listen, mentioned it to me today.
                        I think it will be perfect for him to dip his toe into the waters of classical , with which he is an almost complete newcomer. The recommendations, and related listening look sensible, and the brief notes will give a good basic context.

Anybody else had a look ?

Edit…on second look a bit less impressed. Search under Chamber Music and it seems just to recommend certain composers, which when selected just bring up a general list of works, rather than just chamber music.
                        Unless I am hitting the wrong butttons….
                        Last edited by teamsaint; 28-03-23, 21:13.

Comment

Just downloaded the app, opting for the free 3-month trial period (as I let my Apple Music subscription lapse years ago) - but with heavy calendar reminders to cancel in time if necessary, before the monthly £10.99 kicks in.

At first look it seems fine, lossless sound quality as standard. One thing which will be a ‘tick’ for me is if, when listening in the car via Apple Play, the track descriptions include composer & work (Qobuz isn’t very good at this, when playing multi-composer albums of unfamiliar music, you have no idea whose piece you’re listening to). But…

… to listen in the car, I’d want to download the album to the phone so it can play without network/data & associated vagaries - and at first sight, I can’t see a download function. You can add albums to a ‘library’ but they’re not downloaded within the phone.

Any tips?

Comment

Just downloaded the app, opting for the free 3-month trial period (as I let my Apple Music subscription lapse years ago) - but with heavy calendar reminders to cancel in time if necessary, before the monthly £10.99 kicks in.

At first look it seems fine, lossless sound quality as standard. One thing which will be a ‘tick’ for me is if, when listening in the car via Apple Play, the track descriptions include composer & work (Qobuz isn’t very good at this, when playing multi-composer albums of unfamiliar music, you have no idea whose piece you’re listening to). But…

… to listen in the car, I’d want to download the album to the phone so it can play without network/data & associated vagaries - and at first sight, I can’t see a download function. You can add albums to a ‘library’ but they’re not downloaded within the phone.

Any tips?
                            There isn't a download function in the app, which seems odd:

Can I download music in the Apple Music Classical app to listen to offline?
                            You can't download music in the Apple Music Classical app. But you can use the Apple Music app to download tracks, albums, and playlists that you’ve added to your Apple Music Classical library.

Does your free subscription give you full Apple Music access ?

Presumably if you save something to your Apple Music library, you could then download to your phone ?

Comment

There isn't a download function in the app, which seems odd:

Can I download music in the Apple Music Classical app to listen to offline?
                              You can't download music in the Apple Music Classical app. But you can use the Apple Music app to download tracks, albums, and playlists that you’ve added to your Apple Music Classical library.

Does your free subscription give you full Apple Music access ?

Presumably if you save something to your Apple Music library, you could then download to your phone ?
                              no idea - I have no need of it.

In that case, I’ll delete the app and cancel the (free) trial subscription

Comment

Working...
                              X