Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting experience

My router was non functioning this am (tried the ON-OFF trick to no avail). An hour later it was still off. I remembered BT had supplied me with a 'minihub' for emergencies. Terric surprise to find the biggest problem was extracting the hub from its little box - which I have now completely vandalised. Once plugged in to the computer I was instantly back on line

Have now texted HELP to BT's number and within minutes they confirmed there was a fault and an engineer would be needed to repair it. Within 10 mins I had indicated which one of two appointments would be acceptable and the engineer was booked for next Tuesday, 8am-1pm. Hope the mini hub lasts out (oh, text has just confirmed the booking). So far it's good service but ... I think I pay more for it! However, many a slip ... Anyway, it's been very interesting fumbling, techie-like, my way through the process, completed within 30 minutes of locating the instruction leaflet.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Anyway, it's been very interesting fumbling, techie-like, my way through the process, completed within 30 minutes of locating the instruction leaflet.
    All the ingredients for a horror story there, f f. But, you survived!

Comment

I've had that experience of trying to get into a transparent package to extract a simple object , and ending up with cut fingers, split nails etc. Surgery is the usual way now, the incision made not on me but on the bubble, with a very sharp knife.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I've had that experience of trying to get into a transparent package to extract a simple object , and ending up with cut fingers, split nails etc. Surgery is the usual way now, the incision made not on me but on the bubble, with a very sharp knife.
        You need one of these:

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          ... they do look useful!

One of the best gadgets I ever acquired was in the goody-bag at the reception for the twentieth anniversary of chandos in 1999 - a device for slitting open the plastic packaging of a CD. Something like this :

truly life-changing!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... they do look useful!

One of the best gadgets I ever acquired was in the goody-bag at the reception for the twentieth anniversary of chandos in 1999 - a device for slitting open the plastic packaging of a CD. Something like this :

truly life-changing!

I have CD wrapper slitters growing on the ends of each of my fingers and thumbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I have CD wrapper slitters growing on the ends of each of my fingers and thumbs.
              ... slitters (plural) on the end of each finger and thumb? Edwd: Scissorhands look to your laurels!

Comment

Very grateful for all the hi-tech advice on opening things.** I've been offline again for a while since, but have managed to get online again, seemingly through the agency of my iPhone but that may have been a coincidence. Have a feeling I texted HELP, received a diagnostic (needs engineer), was invited to select a date for booking, date confirmed for a booking - and I don't believe I was connected to a human being at any point I also don't have a landline since, will I or nill I, I was forced to have a digital phone which is linked to the non-functioning router.

** This was the equivalent of opening a somewhat larger matchbox, where the match drawer wouldn't push out of its sleeve until after I pulled down both the box ends and slit the sleeve open with a knife.

PS Yes, my iPhone is set up as personal hotspot/wireless access point so it is the current router.
                Last edited by french frank; 04-05-23, 15:12.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  I find my garden secateurs are useful, if a package is beyond the heavy duty kitchen scissors which can cope with crunching chicken bones so do for most occasions. I still get lacerations sometimes from the plastic twisting round over my fingers as the blade cuts through, lacking a third hand to hold it out of the way.

Comment

I remember trying to open a couple of packs of cake on a French TGV. Eventually managed it, and the cake was edible, but somewhat mangled when it finally emerged from each wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I remember trying to open a couple of packs of cake on a French TGV. Eventually managed it, and the cake was edible, but somewhat mangled when it finally emerged from each wrapper.
                      I do seem to find biscuits at the end of packets fragmenting into crumbs on being (carefully) opened these days rather a lot. Also, bananas transitioning from the inedible green stage to rotting at one end in 3 or so days as they sit patiently in my Chinese fruit bowl. And has anyone else noticed milk going off more quickly than a year or two ago? In previous times I've known pints of semi-skimmed lasting over a week - the time it sometimes takes me to get through a pint (or half litre), living as I do alone; nowadays it goes into a junket-like state on day 5: and I have checked and found the temperature inside my fridge not to have altered.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I do seem to find biscuits at the end of packets fragmenting into crumbs on being (carefully) opened these days rather a lot. Also, bananas transitioning from the inedible green stage to rotting at one end in 3 or so days as they sit patiently in my Chinese fruit bowl. And has anyone else noticed milk going off more quickly than a year or two ago? In previous times I've known pints of semi-skimmed lasting over a week - the time it sometimes takes me to get through a pint (or half litre), living as I do alone; nowadays it goes into a junket-like state on day 5: and I have checked and found the temperature inside my fridge not to have altered.
                        I cut across the biscuit packet with a sharp knife a few biscuits in from the end - works a treat (unless he biscuits are already broken, of course!
                        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 04-05-23, 18:56. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          I cut across the biscuit with a sharp knife a few biscuits in from the end - works a treat (unless he biscuits are already broken, of course!
                          ... yes! The discovery that the best way into a packet of ginger biccies was to slice thro' with a knife was a great moment for me too...

Comment

I keep garden shears in a cutlery drawer for when the key tab breaks on a tin of sardines. Useful little gadget.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
                              I keep garden shears in a cutlery drawer for when the key tab breaks on a tin of sardines. Useful little gadget.
                              Cutting off your own head with shears does seem a bit drastic though!

Comment

Working...
                              X