Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No digital signal on BBC1 or 2

Is anyone else in the London area experiencing this? No announcements or apologies, but the other digital channels seemed unaffected.

I had to get the manuals out to remind myself what plugged in where. Hope this isn't a sign for the future, after the switchover

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Is anyone else in the London area experiencing this? No announcements or apologies, but the other digital channels seemed unaffected.

I had to get the manuals out to remind myself what plugged in where. Hope this isn't a sign for the future, after the switchover
    You have to re-tune, if you are on freeview, both today and again on 18 April, as part of the digital switchover. I did it this morning - all working fine now.

There have been a fair number of notices that this was happening - both on-screen and in the press.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      You have to re-tune, if you are on freeview, both today and again on 18 April, as part of the digital switchover. I did it this morning - all working fine now.

There have been a fair number of notices that this was happening - both on-screen and in the press.
      Thanks Vints.

Any advice on this? I kind of received my freeview box from friends about to leave the country, but no accompanying manual; plugged in by trial and error and, hey presto, all was as should be.

Comment

Thanks Vints.

Any advice on this? I kind of received my freeview box from friends about to leave the country, but no accompanying manual; plugged in by trial and error and, hey presto, all was as should be.
        Where have you been S-A? It's been advertised everywhere. Click on menu, opt for full scan. Only BBC2 is updating today, five other analogue channels on the 18th April, my birthday.

Comment

Thanks Vints.

You should be able to do this with your remote.
          Turn telly on, in digital mode.
          Press 'menu'.
          Select 'set up' or 'installation' option. If there are picture icons, select tool box, satellite dish, or spanner.
          If prompted for a code try 0000 or 1234.

Select the full re-tune option. This is sometimes called 'first time installation', 'factory reset' 'default settings' or 'shipping conditions'.
          Do not select 'channel update' or 'add channels'
          Press OK if your equipment asks if you want to delete all your channels - don't worry: this is normal.

Channels should be installed automatically. This may take some minutes, and your equipment may shut down and re-start.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Where have you been S-A? It's been advertised everywhere. Click on menu, opt for full scan. Only BBC2 is updating today, five other analogue channels on the 18th April, my birthday.
            I also got Dave and Dave ja vu back, and somewhat improved signal levels on others.

Comment

Thanks, Vints and saly

It eventually worked by going to "autotune" on the digital menu - once I'd found the correct remote!

Comment

Thanks, Vints and saly

It eventually worked by going to "autotune" on the digital menu - once I'd found the correct remote!
                That's good S-A Don't forget, more to do on the 18th April. I think we are almost the last part of the UK to lose the analogue signal. saly

Comment

Seems it's the BBC re-tuning thing, then.

But I have a similar problem with my digital receiver which crops up from time to time (say once a month). I suddenly find that the commercial channels (3,4,5 etc) just aren't there (the screen is black), but the BBC ones are. The BBC ones never seem to misbehave. It usually seems to happen after I've got a message 'New channel detected' or something similar. I've found that the only solution is to do a full re-tune, which takes about ten minutes on my machine. It's damn annoying when you've set the machine to do a timed recording and the thing goes on the blink when you're away. Lucky most of my recordings are from BBC4 (but I must confess a weakness for Lovejoy, which it seems is being repeated in toto on Yesterday at the moment!). Anyone else find this? I'm in SE London. I know this board is full of knowledgeable technical folk, so maybe here's the place to ask. (Sorry, this is boring.)

Comment

That's good S-A Don't forget, more to do on the 18th April. I think we are almost the last part of the UK to lose the analogue signal. saly
                    Hmmm. My BBC2 is inaccessible now, since retuning. It comes on for a second then reverts to BBC1.

Comment

I have at least three booklets aboutthe changeover S-A. The general BBC number seems to be

0800 40 85 918 BBC HELPLINE FOR OVER 65s

Comment

I have at least three booklets aboutthe changeover S-A. The general BBC number seems to be

0800 40 85 918 BBC HELPLINE FOR OVER 65s
                        Thanks again saly. I'll given 'em a ring tomorrow if the problem's still there!

Comment

Chosen especially no doubt, salymap so that we wouldn't forget

Forget which event I'm not prepared to say

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            This may take some minutes, and your equipment may shut down and re-start.

Best of luck!
                            Many thanks for this vints - and there was me thinking this was another side-effect of the flippin' diabetes

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Many thanks for this vints - and there was me thinking this was another side-effect of the flippin' diabetes
                              Can you get BBC2, and also the BBC News channel your side of Town on digital, Ams? Cos I can't down here!

Comment

Working...
                              X