Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband/server dropouts?

1. Just noticed that the old posts have been moved - so now we do have a Techie Board! Not sure that it shouldn't be spelt Tecchie (?) - but it's slang anyway!

2. I've been getting quite a lot of dropouts at critical points in music via various sources lately. Maybe it's time to change broadband suppliers again. On the other hand it could be a problem with remote servers. My service (??) is from Talk Talk, and it seems to be dropping out quite a lot. Sources are Spotify, Radio 3 etc.

Mine too from Be Unlimited. Thinking of switching....

Comment

I'm getting similar issues with Virgin (ADSL) on a wired connection.

The connection slows and becomes unavailable several times a day, sometimes there are gaps of several hours, sometimes just a few minutes.

Rebooting the Router always cures the problem, but that's hardly the point.....

I, too, am looking to change but am restricted to BT or any supplier who sub-contracts BT ADSL. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
        I'm getting similar issues with Virgin (ADSL) on a wired connection.
        The connection slows and becomes unavailable several times a day, sometimes there are gaps of several hours, sometimes just a few minutes.
        I was with Virgin ADSL for some years but the drop outs were becoming ever more frequent so last year (when they also wanted to increase the monthly charge by a whopping £5pm) I switched to BT. This was on the grounds of cost and comparison of speeds others were getting in my location on various websites. I've been with them for 8 months and have had no drop outs or problems

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I was with Virgin ADSL for some years but the drop outs were becoming ever more frequent so last year (when they also wanted to increase the monthly charge by a whopping £5pm) I switched to BT. This was on the grounds of cost and comparison of speeds others were getting in my location on various websites. I've been with them for 8 months and have had no drop outs or problems
          Anna,

Many thanks, we are seriously considering BT Infinity.

Your reply certainly underwrites our thinking.

Comment

Just to say that I am also experiencing dropouts.

More generally, my experience with Talk Talk has felt to me like torture. I didn't think that an absolutely dire earlier experience with Scottish Power could ever be matched by a company but it has been. I wouldn't wish the experience I have had with Talk Talk on my biggest enemy and am very much looking forward to July when I can escape.

Comment

BT Option 2, for 3 years now, very reliable either streaming AAC Radio 3 (via iTunes is ultra-stable) or downloading FLAC files. This not yet a fibreoptic connection, speeds steady at 6-7 Mbs. Berlin Phil DCH streaming was very good up to 2010-11, very occasional glitches, but they've changed the technical set-up since I attended regularly so not sure now.

Comment

Zen Internet...highly recommended.

Comment

I'm on Virgin Media cable - and it is very reliable where I am. However, no feed of Radio 3 seems to be perfect. I started to add some info about that but it seemed to be too long. I think I might start a new thread rather than hijacking this one!

Comment

I've been with AOL for years and this year's been the worst so far for connection dropouts etal. Does the weather have any influence on your signal connection?

Comment

Originally posted by grippie View Post
                      I've been with AOL for years and this year's been the worst so far for connection dropouts etal. Does the weather have any influence on your signal connection?
                      A friend swtiched from AOL, after many years, in November when his contract expired due to unacceptable dropouts (he doesn't listen to music but the football from Bristol!) I wouldn't have thought weather would have any influence, the main thing with ADSL is distance from the exchange I think? He also switched to BT and seems happy with them, another friend who is with Talk Talk is also thinking of ditching them but seems tempted by the Sky package.

Comment

Working...
                      X