Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an iPad for hi res audio

This article is plausible, and might be of interest - http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discus...connection.pdf

I use an HRT Headstraemr with my iMac and it's very user friendly. Guess this is the way music is going; a bod at one of the UK's major labels told me last week that they're working on the assumption that CDs will be extinct in 10 years and that we will all be downloading/streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      I use an HRT Headstraemr with my iMac and it's very user friendly. Guess this is the way music is going; a bod at one of the UK's major labels told me last week that they're working on the assumption that CDs will be extinct in 10 years and that we will all be downloading/streaming.

well that will ensure its survival then !

didn't know that HRT would work both for hot flushes and audio !

Comment

Home sharing is at 16/48 isn't is? Not sure how you can get 'real' 24/96 or 25/88.2 by using home sharing and an iPad.
        Steve

Comment

Interesting, but two points:

1. Can we really hear any difference listening to a 24/96 file, over the 16/48 version, on anything but esoteric hifi?

2. Do we want to shell out for the inevitable storage requirements that files three times the size demand? It really means buying a 32Gb iPad as a minimum.

I'm sure that, like it or not, we will all have to download music when CD becomes extinct; but I believe there's more to be gained in 'tweaking' or upgrading the listening system than in downloading large 24bit files.

Comment

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
            Do we want to shell out for the inevitable storage requirements that files three times the size demand? It really means buying a 32Gb iPad as a minimum
            Itunes won't copy high resolution recordings to an iPad etc.

As for storage for a Mac or Windows machine, I bough a 2 tb external drive this afternoon for £109.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
              Home sharing is at 16/48 isn't is? Not sure how you can get 'real' 24/96 or 25/88.2 by using home sharing and an iPad.
              Assuming this a response to my post the Headstreamer is a small DAC and headphone amp and its asynchronous USB connection mwans it vypasses the Mac's sound card and outputs the flacs in their native resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                Assuming this a response to my post the Headstreamer is a small DAC and headphone amp and its asynchronous USB connection mwans it vypasses the Mac's sound card and outputs the flacs in their native resolution.
                No, I was responding to the PDF in the original post in the thread that seemed to indicate that you could stream high resolution recordings using airplay and retain the original word length and sampling rate.

Sorry for not making myself clear.
                Steve

Comment

stunsworth

No problem.

Comment

The point is still moot, however. Can any of us hear the difference unless we have (a) A1 hearing and (b) state of the art loudspeakers etc?

Comment

Working...
                    X