• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Jun 2024

Questions about BBC Radio I-Player

A few questions -

1. How do I get a desktop icon for BBC Radio I-Player? Currently I am having to Google it each time.

2. When I tick "Remember Me", it doesn't. I have to type in my password etc. How can I change this?

3. Is there any way of altering the order of chosen favourites once they appear, ie by date?

4. What is the best way of monitoring favourites to ensure episodes aren't missed or listened to twice?
  • Russ

1 Do you mean a desktop shortcut to bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ ? Or do you mean installing the iPlayer desktop? Or do you mean a shortcut to the RadioPlayer?

2 The 'Remember me' functionality for iPlayer will depend on the options settings of your browser. (Look under 'saving passwords', 'managing autofill' etc.) Some browsers are a bit cleverer than others in this area.

3 No. The default iPlayer presentation is I think by date.

4 The BBC made some encouraging noises a couple of years ago about being able to recognise and denote what had been listened to, but I think they are a long way off being able to implement this.

There is currently a incompatibility between the favourites functionality for iPlayer and the new Radio system. The latter's settings cannot be imported into the new system, despite historical promises on such a facility. There are some fundamental differences in the data routines between the two systems. The root of the problem lies in the differentiation (or lack of it) between 'series' and 'episodes'.

Russ

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Russ - Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply. On "1" I think I mean a desktop shortcut. Can you help on that please? On "2" I will check. Thanks for the tip. On "3" and "4", noted!

The BBC's accompanying notes make many apologies on what it hasn't managed to do yet. Some, such as permitting changes in the order of favourites much like Spotify, and the ability to monitor which programmes have been listened to, are badly needed.

It seems mainly concerned though about compatibility with the main I-Player which is understandably important for the BBC but actually less so to me. I am happy to consider television, rarely, separately.

On a broader point, I am finding its anti-silo approach to programme content - a bit of everything across the network to gain more listeners - very off putting. I am missing programmes I like and often end up saying "to hell with it all".

But that is one for whoever might be dropping by!

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

I just have a bookmarked link to the R3 Schedules and then navigate from there to the programme I want to listen to. To me, it is much easier than going via the iPlayer webpage.

Comment

• Russ

Lat - to get a desktop shortcut to iPlayer (radio, 'natch):

- go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio in your browser
          - to the left of that address will be an icon
          - click and drag that icon to the desktop

Russ

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            Lat - to get a desktop shortcut to iPlayer (radio, 'natch):

- go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio in your browser
            - to the left of that address will be an icon
            - click and drag that icon to the desktop

Russ
            Yes, thank you Russ. That's great. It is a google style icon rather than a BBC one as was the case with I-Player actual but it worked. One problem solved. On the second, I have been into the settings sections and there is a tick to remember passwords. Not sure then why it is excluded - it isn't in the list of sites that are automatically excluded. Oh well!

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              It is a google style icon rather than a BBC one
              The icon will probably be the same style as your browser icon. Icons can be changed if you wish: google 'change desktop icon' and you will find the usual 35 million pages of varying degrees of help.

On the second, I have been into the settings sections and there is a tick to remember passwords. Not sure then why it is excluded - it isn't in the list of sites that are automatically excluded. Oh well!
              Give your browser a few hours to settle in.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

When listening to R3 on my I phone I don't get the slide bar volume control anymore.
                Where am I going wrong ?

Comment

• Russ

Alison - what application on your phone are you using to listen with, and is your phone running an Android operating system?

Russ

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

It's the BBC I player mobile app on a iPhone 3G.

Comment

Working...
                    X