X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheapskater
    • Jun 2024

Method to securely house two CDs in one (later design) jewel case

I had a requirement to achieve the above and tried several brands of CD/DVD cases, none of which held two CDs securely because the securing rings aren't deep enough. However the later design of jewel case, which I find more aesthetically pleasing, has a deeper securing ring which will securely hold two CDs. I can advise that the CD retention plate will snap out, as did the older design. Furthermore, the case artworks holders are essentially the same size as previously; the front cover just slides in and the back cover likewise, although this needs very minor trimming to fit the revised backplate design. Good Luck
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I was quite surprised that my last double CD (secondhand) arrived in a jewel case with one CD stored directly on top of the other. I'd have thought that would be bound to cause damage.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I was quite surprised that my last double CD (secondhand) arrived in a jewel case with one CD stored directly on top of the other. I'd have thought that would be bound to cause damage.
      But frenchie, I seem to recall being told (when they were introduced) that CDs were almost indestructible.

Comment

• Cheapskater

I agree with you, certainly not secure enough for transit (in the older style jewel case)

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          But frenchie, I seem to recall being told (when they were introduced) that CDs were almost indestructible.
          Well, unbreakable is one thing, undamageable (= plays perfectly) is not quite the same. People use them as bird-scarers, but I'm not sure they intend that as a form of storage, CDs to be reclaimed from the garden when they are subsequently wanted for playing.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Well, unbreakable is one thing, undamageable (= plays perfectly) is not quite the same. People use them as bird-scarers, but I'm not sure they intend that as a form of storage, CDs to be reclaimed from the garden when they are subsequently wanted for playing.
            Ah but they were supposedly playable with marmalade on them, or with holes up to 1mm being not problem to consistent playback. Surely they were not being mis-sold? (Again, )

By the way, the new (i.e. SACD type) jewel cases appear to cost around five times the price of old style double CD jewel cases.

Comment

Working...
            X