Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipping, aacs and mp3s

On another thread - about Shostakovich - mention was made of clipping in recordings. As it is a Verdi celebration year I have been listening to several different recordings of Verdi operas, and in particular Falstaff. Today I realised that I'd downloaded Solti's version in a complete set of aac recordings (aac 256 kbps) from the iTunes store a year or more back, so I transferred it to this machine, and played the opening.

Sometimes aac and mp3s sound almost the same as the CDs, and if it's simply a question of trying for sound quality, then I tend to decide whether or not to buy the CD or other format. I have to say that the opening track of the Falstaff download is atrocious, and at least exhibits rather severe distortion - probably clipping. Now I wonder whether the CD would also be bad, though I find it hard to believe that it could be. Other tracks are nothing like so bad, which suggests that someone simply got the levels wrong, and thus hit clipping.

Perhaps those who produce audio tracks don't understand some basic facts about sound quality these days. I certainly wouldn't want to buy the equivalent Solti CD if it also showed the same horrible defects. Sadly, perhaps, the days when one could listen to LPs or take them back if they weren't up to scratch seem long gone. I am not sure if any supplier nowadays would actually take back CDs simply because the recording quality was discovered to be abysmal.

I've just had a quick listen to that recording on Spotify and there seems to be something seriously wrong with it.

Spotify uses the Vorbis codec which is obviously different from AAC so I'd guess the CD will be dodgy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Phileas View Post
      I've just had a quick listen to that recording on Spotify and there seems to be something seriously wrong with it.

Spotify uses the Vorbis codec which is obviously different from AAC so I'd guess the CD will be dodgy too.
      Unfortunately that's not proof, as it's perfectly possible that both iTunes and Spotify have screwed it up.

Surely someone out there must have the CD version! Decca has had a good reputation in the past, and I find it slightly peculiar that the very opening of an opera should exhibit such poor quality sound. If I could get the CD cheaply I'd buy it to check.

PS: I didn't realise there are several different recordings of this by Solti. The cheapest (used) of the version mentioned seems to ba about £8 with postage - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+solt+falstaff and also one on Eloquence.
      Last edited by Dave2002; 19-05-13, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        it's perfectly possible that both iTunes and Spotify have screwed it up.
        It seems more likely that the file supplied by Decca to iTunes and Spotify is faulty. But I agree, the CD could be fine.

Comment

I had a quick listen on Qobuz - streaming FLAC - and it sounds rather ropey. The signal bangs right up to 0 dB, so it's possible it was clipped when mastered - or on the original recording perhaps. Not what I'd expect from Decca at all.
          Steve

Comment

If you have Audacity or the like you can soon see if there is serious clipping in the file. Alsp, if the volume level is audibly higher than "good" files then you can suspect clipping as a possibility. It's a mystery how the files get to the download sites from the original owners. Maybe Decca has a set of files to be given to the download suppliers and so any fault is commmon to all - in this case it's hard not to suspect Decca's transfer process.

We've had similar discussions to this before on these boards.

Comment

Working...
            X