Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turntable problem - any ideas ?

When playing a record on my redoubtable Project Debut turntable - the speakers are now only playing the left channel with the right muffled and distorted .

There are no problems with any of the other sources to my Marantz KI amp of some years back .

I assume this is either an output fault from the turntable/stylus or an input problem in the amp ? Any ideas ?

If you use phono plugs from the turntable into the amp, simply swapping L & R plugs over at the amp will tell you if it's TT(cartridge) or amp. If it changes sides it's the TT, if not it's the amp.

Gently removing and replacing all plugs (inc headshell cartridge connectors) might cure it - sometimes a tiny bit of oxide on the contacts can cause 'orrible distortion. Ignore this if you're using 24ct gold interconnects of course
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      If you use phono plugs from the turntable into the amp, simply swapping L & R plugs over at the amp will tell you if it's TT(cartridge) or amp. If it changes sides it's the TT, if not it's the amp.

Gently removing and replacing all plugs (inc headshell cartridge connectors) might cure it - sometimes a tiny bit of oxide on the contacts can cause 'orrible distortion. Ignore this if you're using 24ct gold interconnects of course

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Ignore this if you're using 24ct gold interconnects of course
        Though not if they are plugging into a tin plated socket, of course. We would not want anyone to fret about it, would we?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Though not if they are plugging into a tin plated socket, of course. We would not want anyone to fret about it, would we?
          Perhaps not directly relevant, but I have been known to put vaseline onto plugs/sockets. I know this should act as an insulator, but sometimes the phono connections, particularly if tight, and perhaps also particularly if made of different metals, become almost impossible to remove. Using a small amount of vaseline makes this easier. I would also recommend, if you can be bothered, unplugging, rotating and replugging phono connections periodically - say once a year.

IMO the vaseline does little to damage the sound, but does avoid later damage to equipment if the plugs could otherwise corrode on. You don't want to break internal connections to the sockets, or perhaps less importantly to the external interconnect cables, by using a lot of force to get the plugs off, which is a possibility when and if this happens.

Comment

Thanks all I shall give that a try .

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Using a small amount of vaseline makes this easier.
              Would that be oxygen free vaseline Dave or does Boots own do?

Seriously though Barbs the advice about cleaning phonos etc is good and is most probably the cause of your problem.

Comment

I have had everything out this afternoon and cleaned all . It appears to be that strange extra little connector that looks like arial on the back of the amp which is the problem . I shall put all back together as I decided to dust the whole of the back of my separates system .

Comment

It appears to be the right channel phono connector to the amp - and a connection problem as if I stand the amp on its head it works !!!

One of the annoying things about inbuilt phono connections. I assume somewhere reputable will be able to repair it

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    It appears to be the right channel phono connector to the amp - and a connection problem as if I stand the amp on its head it works !!!

One of the annoying things about inbuilt phono connections. I assume somewhere reputable will be able to repair it
                    Presumably you have (temporarily) swapped the left and right phono connections to make absolutely sure that the problem is in your amp and not your cables.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      Presumably you have (temporarily) swapped the left and right phono connections to make absolutely sure that the problem is in your amp and not your cables.
                      Sorry to make clear it is the cable where it connects to the amp that is the problem - hence it working when it is pulled to a certain tension by standing the amp on its head !

The annoying thing is that the turntable being an old Project model from when they were first released in the UK - has an inbuilt cheap feeling cable and it cannot be replaced it seems my proper interconnects as they are wired in to the turntable.

Comment

If you jiggle the cable you might be able to identify where the problem is and if it is near the phono plugs you might be able to cut the cable back and attach new plugs.

Failing that, if you have a local audio dealer it would be worth asking them to take a look at the turntable. They should be able to replace the cable.

(You could always ask Project whether replacement captive interconnects are available for your turntable. If a direct replacement isn't available I am sure there are other substitutes on the market.)

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Sorry to make clear it is the cable where it connects to the amp that is the problem - hence it working when it is pulled to a certain tension by standing the amp on its head !

The annoying thing is that the turntable being an old Project model from when they were first released in the UK - has an inbuilt cheap feeling cable and it cannot be replaced it seems my proper interconnects as they are wired in to the turntable.
                          So you are sure it's the right channel phono connector? I think that was the point of John's suggestion. If you are sure of that, then you should be able to get the connector checked and rewired - get out wire cutters, solder and a soldering iron. You can unscrew or dismantle some phono connectors to check, which should reveal the problem. I would expect it to either be a cable break, or a short (possibly intermittent) of the signal cable to earth/screen, which might just be fixable in situ. Otherwise you have to cut it (the phono connector) off, and fit a new one. If you can't do it yourself, a good repair person should be able to do it cheaply - though obviously some will not be so good, and some will not be so cheap!

If you are not sure that it's the connector, it could be an internal fault in the amp, such as a dry joint, which gets disturbed when you wiggle the connector on the outside.

Comment

I agree with Dave that it is worth making absolutely sure where the problem lies.

If the problem is with the cable it might well be that one of the conductors (most likely the core) has become disconnected and that should be a very simple matter, for anyone who has soldering iron skills, to resolder the plug.
                            Last edited by johnb; 26-07-13, 22:14.

Comment

You really don't want to mess with the amp if it is the lead that is faulty and vice versa. Swap over the incoming left and right leads - if the fault goes to the other loudspeaker you have a faulty lead. If the fault stays with the same loudspeaker it is the amp that needs fixing.

Comment

Working...
                              X