X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Indoor aerial for DAB

We have a DAB/FM/CD unit in our kitchen and the aerials we use are the thin wire ones supplied with the unit. Radio reception is very poor (both digital and FM). It would be a very big job to run a cable through from my FM roof aerial to the kitchen so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good indoor aerial for the purpose.

Thanks.
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

DAB broadcasts in the 200 MHz band [around 220 actually] and so your FM aerial would not be much direct use - FM is transmitted in the 100 MHz band so it is a whole octave out in its tuning. It is also possible that the DAB transmitter where you are isn't at the same location as the FM and so may be pointing the wrong way. DAB is also vertically polarised [although there was a plan to make it mixed Vertical/Horizonatal like FM, whereas your FM aerial is almost certainly mounted horizontally.

Having said that it would provide some signal which may be better than what you have simply because the FM aerial is presumably on the roof? Places like Argos etc sell set top aerials for TV and radio, try here:

Buy and sell electronics, cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, digital cameras, baby items, coupons, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

However be aware that there is no real standard for aerial connectors and so the connector on any separate set top aerial will not necessarily be the same as the one your rat's tail wire has. These are only useful in strong-ish signal areas anyway, especially if your receiver is in a ground floor kitchen for example, where it may be on the lee side of the transmitter. Your main issue is poor signal strength, given that FM and DAB suffer from poor reception. I also have to say that some receivers have very poor front end performance [there are some shocking measurements done for OfCom a couple of years ago where top brands did a lot worse than some unknowns] and so it could be your receiver too. 'appen tha's got a bad 'un! How old is it and what brand?

Those cats tails aerials supplied with receivers are next to useless, they are meant for strong signal areas and they are entirely the wrong shape and format for frequencies as high as 200 MHz!! Telescopic vertical rod aerials are a better bet on the whole.

It would help if you could say where you live - approximately of course - apart from York, are you in a suburb or an outlying village? Look here for a map [scroll down the document, but look at what it has to say about reception too] for an idea where your transmitters are:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radio...maps/dl036.pdf and

National commercial digital radio multiplex operator. Find out more about DAB digital radio and check if you can receive the national commercial stations.

the city looks to be well covered with signal, at least for the local multiplex, but doesn't have a dedicated transmitter, probably because of the favourable flat terrain..
    Last edited by Gordon; 14-08-13, 14:11.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
      We have a DAB/FM/CD unit in our kitchen and the aerials we use are the thin wire ones supplied with the unit. Radio reception is very poor (both digital and FM). It would be a very big job to run a cable through from my FM roof aerial to the kitchen so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good indoor aerial for the purpose.

Thanks.
      Faced with the same problem recently, I opted for the "very big job". Outdoor aerial will give a much stronger input signal.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Thanks very much for your detailed response and links, Gordon. Yes, my FM aerial is on the roof. The unit is a Marantz MCR502 bought about 2 years ago. We're situated about a mile from York city centre.

Thanks also, Oddball, for your observation. It may be that eventually I may have to go for that "very big job"!

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

That receiver is well specified but the one thing the published data does not tell is what the radio FM/DAB sensitivities are!! There is a separate DAB aerial input with the proper connector so adding an external aerial should be easy[!!]. It does seem strange that the sgnal where you are is weak given that York is a large city. Could it be that your location is shaded, perhaps by a tall building or the like? Even trees can be problem. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X