• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Transferring an email account

When an email account is opened on behalf of a society, it should be possible (shouldn't it?) for a new officer of that society to take control and take over the operation from their predecessor.

But in fact, the details on record are those of the person who opened the account, and the new officer (for it is I) is unable to change the password without that person's permission.

Is there any way around this? (It's a Hotmail account.)

[I should have appended this post to this thread - it's the same person messing with my head.]

Last edited by jean; 19-08-13, 23:37.
  • Resurrection Man

Jean

Unfortunately no. The details on record, for what they are worth, is irrelevant and matters little to whoever is hosting your email service....which in this case is Hotmail (Microsoft). Anyone can create a Hotmail account but only 'anyone' knows the access password.

So if your predecessor is not going to divulge that password then I am afraid that there is nothing that you can do. Microsoft I don't think will respond or do anything. After all, how do they know that you are who you say you are etc etc etc.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thank you - I thought as much.

Though actually, the problem isn't that he didn't give me the password, but that he has still got it too. And when I found I couldn't log into the account with the correct password, I thought he was playing silly games.

But this morning I was able to log in, so I conclude it was Hotmail that messed up.

Still, I don't like the thought that he's able to spy on me, so I think I'll set up a new account.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Thank you - I thought as much.

Though actually, the problem isn't that he didn't give me the password, but that he has still got it too. And when I found I couldn't log into the account with the correct password, I thought he was playing silly games.

But this morning I was able to log in, so I conclude it was Hotmail that messed up.

Still, I don't like the thought that he's able to spy on me, so I think I'll set up a new account.
        You can easily change the password. Click on the icon screen top-right (it's a little head and shoulder silhouette). You will need the password to log in again. You want Account Settings. Change the password there and also (and most importantly) change the contact email address to yours. Otherwise the other person can simply say 'I've forgotten my password' and Hotmail will email a link to change it but to the email address on the account...ie his.

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X