X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    The files on the iPlayer on demand option have all too often been offered only in mono and at around 48kbps HE-AAC in the past few months. Sometimes they get sorted after the "Contact Us" system is used to alert the iPlayer Team to the problem, but sometimes they never do get put right within the claimed 7 days of availability. Until about two and a half years ago the best on offer was 192kbps mp3.
    Bryn, I am not sure if you are contradicting johnb when he said "Perhaps it is just luck but the R3 on iPlayer has always been 320 kbps AAC-LC (for both live and listen again) when ever I have listened to it", or whether you are saying something different.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I think Bryn is saying that although the iPlayer R3 is supposed to be 320 kbps AAC-LC there are sometimes glitches in the system which result in the Listen Again streaming at 48 kbps HE-AAC.

I didn't say R3 iPlayer was always 320 kbps AAC-LC, but that it was always that when I have listened to it - so I don't think there is any argument between us.

[Edit] Out of curiosity I have just quickly looked at all yesterday's (Tuesday's) R3 Listen Again iPlayer programmes and they all seem to be 320 kbps.
      Last edited by johnb; 05-12-13, 00:18.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I think Bryn is saying that although the iPlayer R3 is supposed to be 320 kbps AAC-LC there are sometimes glitches in the system which result in the Listen Again streaming at 48 kbps HE-AAC.

I didn't say R3 iPlayer was always 320 kbps AAC-LC, but that it was always that when I have listened to it - so I don't think there is any argument between us.
        Quite. I was simply trying to give a bit of background history and point to the occasional problems with the iPlayer on demand facility. There are two standard data rates for Radio 3 these days, Low Bandwidth (c. 48kbps mono), and High Bandwidth (320kbps stereo). Sometimes only the Low Bandwidth is available. When alerted to such deficiencies the iPlayer team correct the problem if the alert comes to the top of the pile in time.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

The iPlayer team have kindly come up with an example of the problem I was addressing. Last night's TtN is currently only available at "LO" bandwidth (mono, 22kHz sample rate, 49kbps HE-AAC). Please do join me in using the iPlayer "Contact Us" system (convoluted as it is) to alert them to the problem.
          Last edited by Bryn; 06-12-13, 18:59. Reason: Typo

Comment

• David-G
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The iPlayer team have kindly come up with an example of the problem I was addressing. Last night's TtN is currently only available at "LO" bandwidth (mono, 22kHz sample rate, 49kbps HE-AAC). Please do join me in using the iPlayer "Contact Us" system (convoluted as it is) to alert them to the problem.
            Thanks Bryn for pointing this out. This is very disappointing, as I had planned to listen to the concert. I have reported the problem as you suggested.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              Thanks Bryn for pointing this out. This is very disappointing, as I had planned to listen to the concert. ...
              Likewise. A particularly enticing edition of TtN, I thought. Let's hope they can rectify the situation before the 7 days 'availability' expires.

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what HE-AAC and AAC-LC are?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Friday morning's TtN now available in HD Sound, not just low data and sample rate mono. Pretty quick work by the iPlayer team, especially for the weekend.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    Would someone be so kind as to tell me what HE-AAC and AAC-LC are?
                    HE is "High Efficiency", and is used at lower data rates to maintain acceptable audio quality. LC is "Low Complexity" (the standard AAC) and tends to be used at higher data rates to offer rather better fidelity.

For more detailed information, see, for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Comment

Working...
                    X