Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thanks to bluestateprommer for making a hefty start on filling in the calendar. I'm looking to see what adjustments can be made to the format to show an at-a-glance monthly view. At the moment there are too many events per diem in some cases and sometimes the important ones aren't immediately visible. It also takes a while to work out some of the vagaries of adding events

Haven't finished all the entries, but if you set the month to August it should remain fixed there, and July and September will be available with one click.

Work in Progress ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      My thanks to bluestateprommer for making a hefty start on filling in the calendar. I'm looking to see what adjustments can be made to the format to show an at-a-glance monthly view. At the moment there are too many events per diem in some cases and sometimes the important ones aren't immediately visible. It also takes a while to work out some of the vagaries of adding events

Haven't finished all the entries, but if you set the month to August it should remain fixed there, and July and September will be available with one click.

Work in Progress ...
      Excellent!

Just wondering if there is a way of putting this calendar on my iPhone does anyone know if this is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Threni View Post
        Excellent!

Just wondering if there is a way of putting this calendar on my iPhone does anyone know if this is possible?
        Not sure how you do that, but have you seen the free app for the Proms. It says the 2011 season will be updated shortly. I found this very useful last year.

Comment

Let's see: most everybody's unimpressed, nobody's excited, and it's all RW's fault. Wow, I never would have seen that coming.
          Last edited by Guest; 21-04-11, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            If anyone can think of an easier approach, I'll investigate. It must be quite difficult to think up an all-encompassing view.
            An ebook format for kindle or iBooks might work well, and wouldn't require a permanent connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
              Let's see: most everybody's unimpressed, nobody's excited, and it's all RW's fault. Wow, I never would have seen that coming.
              Are you saying that RW is no longer in control at R3? Presumably, like that other so-called deity, he is either omnipotent; in which case he is responsible for the shambles, or he isn't, in which case he's lost his grip and we should dispense with him.

Given his outburst on Front Row yesterday it seems that Rog might finally be succumbing to the pressure of being the most hated man in Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                it seems that Rog might finally be succumbing to the pressure of being the most hated man in Britain.
                Not while you're around he isn't, Panjandrum

[with thanks & acknowledgement to the late great Ernest Bevin]

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Originally posted by Panjandrum
                  it seems that Rog might finally be succumbing to the pressure of being the most hated man in Britain.

Not while you're around he isn't, Panjandrum

[with thanks & acknowledgement to the late great Ernest Bevin]
                  Oi! Now just behave there!

Comment

Nice too see loads of Stanford,Parry RVW,Rubbra,Finzi..............

Comment

Certainly agree about RW's performance on Front Row.

Just LA'd it to check that it wasn't just me, but no, RW was truly unpleasant, took issue with ML at almost very turn, talked almost as much about the interview as about the Proms, and bigged up what is actually some merely mildly interesting evenings / artists.

Music is not ML's thing, but I would love to hear RW being interviewed by Tom Service, or someone who knows their classical music and R3 well enough to ask pertinent questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Oi! Now just behave there!
                        Point taken, chief!

Comment

Just listened to the interview. I thought RW did okay. Where there was a bit of edge to the question, ML got a bit of edge back. RW seldom wants to talk about the effects of budget cuts, and even less often admits that any decision is the result of cuts.

I agree with ML about a 'marketing strategy' with the latest comedy Prom . No strategy? Not connected with the Comic Classics on Breakfast? Or the Red Nose Day programming? Or the Christmas so-called 'comedy quiz"? Really? I do wonder whether RW is accurate in calling Tim Minchin a 'musical genius' (I've never heard him, or heard of him ). But it seems the same sort of luvvie hyperbole as (reportedly) describing his latest presenter signing as 'knowledgeable and authoritative'.

Otherwise, the interview seemed fairly unremarkable to me
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Can't get onto RAH site - stuck in waiting room! Seems that some tickets may be going quickly.

All I wanted to do was to recheck the details of one concert.

Comment

In the first place, the Proms is far from a shambles-- and to make out RW as some sort of comic book "bogeyman under the bed" baddie is ridiculous. I didn't find his "Front Row" performance controversial in the slightest, and suspect you're merely looking for an excuse to find fault with him. If anyone was responsible for setting an unpleasant tone, it was the interviewer. What's so bad about a guest refusing to let the host walk all over him with a bunch of provocatively snide remarks and insinuations about his integrity? Nothing. In fact, I wouldn't have minded if he'd shown a little more temper.

Oh well. Take a dump on everything as much as you please, I'm looking forward to enjoying a great summer of glorious music with some of the finest musicians in the world.
                              Last edited by Guest; 15-04-11, 15:06.

Comment

OK. So were listening to different programmes. Whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X