Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who, like me, hate multiple mouse clicking, I've started populating a simple blog with details of the Proms. When I've finished, all the proms should be listed on one page, allowing simple searches using browser search facilities.

Comment

Nah, then, nah, then. Move along there, if you don't mind. This is the Proms thread.

Actually, as I suggested, I didn't think Lawson was really that tough, and I didn't think RW was that annoyed. He just got a little Proms promo in and I take it that was the idea. I wasn't criticising in saying there are certain lines of questioning that he doesn't usually care to pursue and I didn't think, in the very short time he was given, the matter of the cost of the Proms this season or in future seasons was the most interesting.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
        For those of you who, like me, hate multiple mouse clicking, I've started populating a simple blog with details of the Proms. When I've finished, all the proms should be listed on one page, allowing simple searches using browser search facilities.
        Now, that's very good news. When you're ready I'll put the link in the sidebar.

Our calendar format isn't best suited to what I wanted which was a comprehensive and informative display in a small space.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This won't exactly be in a small space .....

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
            No Vaughan Williams! I'm sorry RW but that's a total disgrace.
            Some might say that an even greater and more visionary c20th British composer than RVW is also given a complete cold shoulder AGAIN.

Comment

IMO, Front Row were perfectly within their rights to ask such questions on costs / cuts / programming.
              Fine. I'm not saying he should be fed softballs, but don't you think it would have helped if the interviewer had the faintest clue what he was talking about? Service or Trelawny (or any of the rest of them) never would have made such a stupid mistake in a million years. I think it's obvious RW was being deliberately provoked and baited, and he gave as good as he got. Big deal, what's the problem? God knows he usually puts up with idiotic BS questions and commentary from the public with the patience of a saint.

And I am not sure likening RW to a snake being cornered by a badger is entirely flattering or much of a defence of the man, but let that pass!
              Well, it wasn't meant to be flattering: unlike some of you, I never feel the need to view people as all white or all black. It's just an image that came to mind, that's all... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPKlryXwmXk

I presume RW wanted the R3 controller post, if you put yourself in that position then you make yourself a target if things go wrong or people don't like your ideas, its a fact of life I'm afraid. Someone after all has to take responsibility for the current state of R3 if it isn't the controller then we should know who's really pulling the strings.
              Yes, but I don't think it's fair to characterise it as a matter of RW or anyone else "pulling strings": running the greatest classical radio station in the world and the largest, most prestigious music festival in the world is a COMPLEX TEAM EFFORT. Scapegoating and demonizing the controller over trivialities just isn't very fair or helpful.

Just because you don't happen to like the concerts this season doesn't mean RW or anyone else is doing something wrong. It seems to me a lot of people are having the same old whinge about the Proms they had last year...when was the last time there was a season you really could get excited about? If every season always strikes you as stale and boring, perhaps your attitude is the common denominator.

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum
                That may be but at least I'm not a sad and lonely little man living his last few remaining years as a parasite off the state, in a godforsaken part of north London; consumed with bitterness and hatred towards those who've made a success of their lives.
                Thank goodness that wasn't targetted at Simon, otherwise there'd be hell to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum
                  That may be but at least I'm not a sad and lonely little man living his last few remaining years as a parasite off the state, in a godforsaken part of north London; consumed with bitterness and hatred towards those who've made a success of their lives.
                  Tell me more about this 'parasite off the state' business Panjandrum

Comment

Once again what should have been an interesting thread has developed into childish name calling. If we are to have some interesting discussions during the Proms season, we need to do better than this.
                    Sorry, but life is short.
                    Ferret

Comment

Getting back to the question at the top of this thread, rather than bashing/defending RW, my personal take on this season is to be a tad underwhelmed (again). Unlike many of the contributors, I can't take out a season ticket, go to everything and just take the rough with the smooth. I take a week of my holidays, make a thousand mile round trip, and hope to get a good four or five days' run of concerts that I really want to go to. The season before last I had a hard job finding a run of four or five concerts that attracted me sufficiently, and I noticed that the RAH was half full (or less) for several of the concerts I did attend. Last season was a horse of a different colour. I was spoiled for choice and that seemed to be reflected in the number of times the 'House Full' signs went up. This season? Back to square one. And why are we mucking the Proms about with unfunny comedians? What has that got to do with "the greatest classical music festival in the world"?

Comment

Well Hamish I'm just up the road at the moment and plan to be here (Ballachulish) throughout the proms season. There are lots I would go to but thought i need a year off, although I don't plan promming next year in over priced London during the Olympics!

Nice to see Missa Solemnis on the cards this year as wewll as Bartok and Liszt. Under rated composers I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavaradossi View Post
                          Not sure how you do that, but have you seen the free app for the Proms. It says the 2011 season will be updated shortly. I found this very useful last year.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proms...372200339?mt=8
                          Ah cheers! Yes i have that installed, only recently in fact so never used it before. It will be very useful as you can sync 'favourites' into the calendar app. Glad they are updating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            Some might say that an even greater and more visionary c20th British composer than RVW is also given a complete cold shoulder AGAIN.
                            I wouldn't say that theres always prom 70 to look forward to

Comment

And why are we mucking the Proms about with unfunny comedians? What has that got to do with "the greatest classical music festival in the world"?
                              Well, it's just some light entertainment that gets good press and brings new people into the hall; I'm assuming they'll wrap it up with real music the way they do with other light concerts. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'll probably nip off to the back for that one-- or even sneak up to the gallery if the first half is too dire. The Cullum prom wasn't to my taste, but it was rather interesting to see how much the new audience members were into it, in a "bug under a magnifying glass" sort of way. Lots of happy people... I don't have to like a programme personally to see the benefits of including it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                I wouldn't say that theres always prom 70 to look forward to
                                True. Holst and Bridge are fine composers, but it wasn't them of whom I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X