What is your verdict on this year's Proms?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope 'The Proms', will be better next year?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Hello, saly! We had many a chat on the old MBs; in fact, when I saw that Ma Vlast was to be performed this year, I thought of you and a post you wrote about the Sargent recording you own(ed): this was the one my Music Teacher used to play Vltava/Moldau from in lessons (a photo of Sargent on the cover, complete with carnation: 'tho' I can't remember now if it was red or white). Years later, I bought the cassette tape version, which I still have: alas, my tape player has recently stopped working and I haven't yet transferred it to Disc. Did you hear/enjoy the Belohlavek performance this season? Rather good, I thought.

BBM; I've missed your enthusiasm for all things Brassband-icle: hope next year's season has more to offer you.

Best Wishes.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

FHG, I have missed your contributions!

I think it about time that the Proms should have another Brass Day!! We have a great deal ofsubtantial music to play to the Prommers!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Feel very out-of-place among all these chummy old gentlemen... think I'll try getting into chick-lit. Clothes! Fashion! Unless I'm living it already. But don't we all share a love of classical music? No? Oh... bye then. For now.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Feel very out-of-place among all these chummy old gentlemen... think I'll try getting into chick-lit. Clothes! Fashion! Unless I'm living it already. But don't we all share a love of classical music? No? Oh... bye then. For now.
            Old ladies and gentlemen actually jayne. All welcome here, just nice to see a username I remember from the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Hello, saly! We had many a chat on the old MBs; in fact, when I saw that Ma Vlast was to be performed this year, I thought of you and a post you wrote about the Sargent recording you own(ed): this was the one my Music Teacher used to play Vltava/Moldau from in lessons (a photo of Sargent on the cover, complete with carnation: 'tho' I can't remember now if it was red or white). Years later, I bought the cassette tape version, which I still have: alas, my tape player has recently stopped working and I haven't yet transferred it to Disc. Did you hear/enjoy the Belohlavek performance this season? Rather good, I thought.

BBM; I've missed your enthusiasm for all things Brassband-icle: hope next year's season has more to offer you.

Best Wishes.
              Morning fhg, Can't find that Sargent LP but have a nice Ma vlast from Libor Pesek and the RLPO.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                Morning fhg, Can't find that Sargent LP but have a nice Ma vlast from Libor Pesek and the RLPO.
                Good morning, Salymap.

I have a recording of the full work conducted by Paavo Berglund with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. Recorded about 1973, I think.
                (No, I wasn't playing in it myself)

VH

Comment

Oh jayne, I sympathise! How many times have I quit concert-orien(ta)ted threads which just go on interminably about how wonderful this concert was, how awful it sounded on the radio, how much better it would have sounded if you'd been in the hall all you R3 listeners, how it wasn't as good as/was the same as/was better than so-and-so's 1948, 1956 and 1963 recordings.... instead of saying: I love/dislike this piece of music because of finding these qualities in it!

These are among the perils of attending a themed party where everyone present disappoints because they're not approaching that cherished theme from your/my angle.

But stay around - this mood will pass, and you will, as I'm sure you really know, once again find the odd codger, young or old on here, right up your conversational street. And besides, we'd miss you!

Comment

all these chummy old gentlemen
                    I BEG your pardon????!!!!

"chummy" perhaps.
                    "gentle", I hope.

but "all" and "old" and "men"? Your evidence, sir???!!!

(The only chick-lit i know contains a refrain about the sky falling in, but I'd be delighted to discuss Jeanette Winterson, Ali Smith and/or Nicola Barker with anyone on the appropriate "board".)

Best Wishes.

Comment

If Ferney went off on a hough, would you geliebe him?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        If Ferney went off on a hough, would you geliebe him?
                        Oh no: not after what the Judge told me last time!

Comment

Comment

Oh jayne, I sympathise! How many times have I quit concert-orien(ta)ted threads which just go on interminably about how wonderful this concert was, how awful it sounded on the radio, how much better it would have sounded if you'd been in the hall all you R3 listeners, how it wasn't as good as/was the same as/was better than so-and-so's 1948, 1956 and 1963 recordings.... instead of saying: I love/dislike this piece of music because of finding these qualities in it!
                            As I do, Jayne and S_A

Comment

These are among the perils of attending a themed party where everyone present disappoints because they're not approaching that cherished theme from your/my angle.

But stay around - this mood will pass, and you will, as I'm sure you really know, once again find the odd codger, young or old on here, right up your conversational street. And besides, we'd miss you!
                              Serial_apologist

It's an irritating habit, I know, as every morning I tot up my 85 versions of Mahler's Ninth in order to decide who does the best rondo burlesque! Naturally that includes all those off air broadcasts from Hilversum and NBC, wonderful remasterings considering that the earliest were still received on crystal sets.
                              Me, I prefer the Sarah Walker approach, by telling us all how wonderful each piece of music is, and how even more wonderful the performance is going to be!
                              I have a friend who can remember dates and details of concerts he attended thirty years ago, but he often can't remember which day of the week they were on. Nobody's perfect !

Comment

Going back to topic. The Proms, as has been the case the previous two years, has been of little interest to me. I've dipped in to a concert or two for certain works, but the whole thing felt fairly flat. I see the forthcoming concert season in London looks unbelievably dull, though I've found one concert to take my partner to. I wish I was back In Manchester the forthcoming season there looks far more interesting! There are several concerts that I would like to have attended.

Comment

Working...
                                X