Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LA Phil (not due to play a Prom as far as I can make out) website lets slip that Lionel Bringuier is conducting the BBCSO at the Proms. Any bets that within the next four years he gets a BBC Orchestra to call his own?

Comment

Well ive just booked my Scottish hols so wont be at the proms this year

watch/listen on ipad though

Comment

Just dug up basic information on 2 more concerts at this summer's Proms, from Heather Cairncross' website:

August 19, Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians (fitting, since 2011 is Steve Reich's 75th birthday year)

September 9 (the penultimate night), Carl Maria von Weber: Der Freischutz, with the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique, and conductor John Eliot Gardiner

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          Just dug up basic information on 2 more concerts at this summer's Proms, from Heather Cairncross' website:

September 9 (the penultimate night), Carl Maria von Weber: Der Freischutz, with the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique, and conductor John Eliot Gardiner
          Ooooh, that sounds good - I wonder if I can arrange one of my visits south to coincide?

Comment

Thomas Larcher @ the 2011 Proms

Just found from this page at ECM's website one contribution by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra to this summer's Proms, with husband and wife as guest soloists:

August 8, 2011:

Thomas Larcher: Concerto for Violin, Violoncello and Orchestra

Viktoria Mullova, violin
            Matthew Barley, cello
            BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
            Ilan Volkov, conductor

In addition, regarding the Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians, Synergy's webpage lists a different date of August 10:

But clearly there will be a performance of that work, on either August 10 or August 19, with Synergy and the Ensemble Modern.

Plus, small follow-up to random speculation about American orchestras going to The Proms this year: from looking at the Chicago Symphony's website, the CSO does not list The Proms on their summer European tour. So they can be scratched off the list. Still no idea about The Philadelphia Orchestra, but contract negotiations are going on right now, with worries that it might turn into another Detroit Symphony-type meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
              In addition, regarding the Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians, Synergy's webpage lists a different date of August 10:

But clearly there will be a performance of that work, on either August 10 or August 19, with Synergy and the Ensemble Modern.
              Chris N reported that Aug 10 would be the Bournemouth SO/Karabits. I've been entering the suggestions, where there were dates, in the calendar so we'll see what was right and wrong in 8 days time.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I would guess that Steve Reich would qualify for a late-evening concert these days. William Glock's "mixtures" to put bums on seats don't count these days. Remember when Boult shared progammes with Fred Prauznitz? Boult playing Elgar or RVW in the first half. Prauznitz giving us something like George Crumb or Charles Ives and to finish Strauss's "Emperor Walz" in the hope people stayed

Comment

new Sally Beamish string quartet @ The Proms this summer

Just found from Sally Beamish's own page word about her new string quartet, scheduled for its world premiere on Monday, July 25 at 1 PM (at the risk of stating the obvious, by inference at Cadogan Hall):

The Elias Quartet will be featured, in what is SB's String Quartet No. 3, which they'll reprise at the Oxford Chamber Music Society later in the year:

Come and see outstanding musicians up close in the historic Holywell Music Room in the centre of Oxford. Season tickets available!

Comment

Israel Philharmonic

According to the American Friends of the IPO website, the orchestra appears on 1 September: No programme as yet

Europe Festival: August - September 2011Conducted by Zubin Mehta

August 28, 2011 – September 24, 2011

August 28 Stresa, Italy

August 30 Grafeneg, Australia

September 1 London, UK

September 3 Gstaad, Switzerland

September 6,7 Lucerne, Switzerland

September 8 Basel, Switzerland

September 10 Dresden, Germany

September 11 Bohn, Germany

September 12, Cologne, Germany

September 13 Turin, Italy

September 14 Milan, Italy

September 15 Rotterdam, Holland

September 17 Luxembourg

September 19, 20 Bucharest, Romania

September 21, 22 Madrid, Spain

September 24 Zagreb, Croatia

Comment

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich @ The Proms, 2011

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                      "The Edinburgh Festival programme has been announced which sometimes gives a clue about possible visitors to the Proms. Edinburgh dates are...

29 August Tonhalle Orchestra/ Zinman"
                      From doing a little digging, I can confirm that the Tonhalle-Orchester Zurich and conductor David Zinman are indeed scheduled for The Proms this summer. The date looks to be Saturday, August 27, 2011. The program looks to be:

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27, K. 595 (Maria Joao Pires, piano)
                      Beethoven: Symphony No. 3

The source of this information is a tour-package page:

Last edited by bluestateprommer; 11-04-11, 19:29.

Comment

William Glock's "mixtures" to put bums on seats don't count these days. Remember when Boult shared progammes with Fred Prauznitz? Boult playing Elgar or RVW in the first half. Prauznitz giving us something like George Crumb or Charles Ives and to finish Strauss's "Emperor Walz" in the hope people stayed
                        Actually I don't think that's fair to Glock. When he started he was stuck with Sargent as Chief Conductor of the BBC SO and the Proms. Sargent wouldn't conduct most 'modern' music, so Glock would ask someone like Del Mar or Prausnitz to come in and do something new or at least off the beaten track while Sargent did his usual thing in the rest of the concert. It made for some uncomfortable juxtapositions, and because Proms programmes were generally longer than now, the programme could be divided almost as if it was two concerts. Later, after Sargent's death, when Glock was able to get his own man (Boulez) in as BBC SO conductor, he was able to start programming much more coherently. I don't think it was about bums on seats, it was about trying to change a profoundly conservative culture.

Though I don't see anything wrong with bums on seats.

Comment

Fair comment, RobertLe Diable, though I come from the post-Sargent era. (Colin Davis began my full-time Promming time). I still think that Glock had to be fairly pragmatic (as Harold Wilson would have put it) regarding getting people to come to concerts. I only met him (Glock) once, on the day that Russia invaded Czechoslovakia and he was amazingly diplomatic in his comments as he knew that Wilson wanted the USSRSSO Proms and Edinburgh Festival concerts and the Beatles tour of Russia cancelled. I agree that concerts were longer (better value?) in those days and that Boulez (and, of course, Colin Davis) brought much more exciting programmes.

Comment

Budapest Festival Orchestra @ 2011 Proms

One more band to add to the party, namely the Budapest Festival Orchestra, conductor Ivan Fischer, and pianist Dejan Lazić, scheduled for September 2, 2011 at The Proms. The program includes Liszt's Totentanz, but I don't know what else will be included. This is from Channel Classics' page:

Last edited by bluestateprommer; 12-04-11, 18:03.

Comment

the proms 2011 book seemed to be on sale in a shop I visited today..should it have been?

If its release tomorrow, should surely have been embargoed?

Pity i didn't buy it really!!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

BBC Phil/Sinaisky/Dejan Lazić @ The Proms Aug.11

Dejan Lazić, it turns out, has one more appearance at The Proms this summer, performing his own arrangement of the Brahms Violin Concerto as a piano concerto, with the BBC Philharmonic and Vassily Sinaisky, on August 11, 2011, per this link from Channel Classics' site (the gaffe on the name of the hall aside):

Last edited by bluestateprommer; 14-04-11, 04:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X